XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Xplornet LTE network * (Newest Network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2015, 08:45 AM

Default VPN Over New LTE Network

Background: Switched from 4G fixed wireless to new LTE service near Guelph, Ontario. Speed and ping times are excellent, but VPN (TorGuard) hasn't worked since the switch.

Update 16Feb2015: I spoke to a very friendly and helpful rep on the phone. I described my problem and he confirmed others have reported the same issue, and that the system is not allowing VPN connections or a static IP. He was pretty frank and well informed for a customer service rep. His opinion was that this limitation is temporary and only in place until the system is completely built out and stress-tested. At least at his office, the issue was being discussed and he felt the ability would be activated in time. He noted that some of the legacy systems (satellite?) would never have the ability, but that the LTE system was technically able to provide VPN and a static IP.

The are several legitimate uses for a VPN service (and a great many illegitimate uses!). The ability to shield your identity is part of the modern internet experience. Xplornet seems to be getting serious about providing realistic data caps for prices that are at least fair, if not comparable to traditional hard-wired connections. I am cautiously optimistic that this limitation will eventually disappear, possibly for a small surcharge. In the meantime, I am speedtesting every day and getting a consistent 24 Mbps down. I never imagined a wireless connection would deliver this kind of speed!
Old 02-16-2015, 09:53 AM

You get any indication that this would mean I also can't connect from home to my company VPN as I need to do to work from home? If this is the case then it is completely ridiculous.

Last edited by edcwhite : 02-16-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garafraxa View Post
Background: Switched from 4G fixed wireless to new LTE service near Guelph, Ontario. Speed and ping times are excellent, but VPN (TorGuard) hasn't worked since the switch.
Were you able to see if you can use TCP ports to VPN? Big thing here was that you had said you were able to connect to the VPN before using iOS while on the new LTE platform but not by connecting to it on your computer (as you mentioned in the previous post). So wondering if its the firewall blocking UDP VPN connections, vs you can't block TCP VPN connections occurring over standard Internet Ports (80, 443, 563). I use Private Internet Access (PIA) which uses OpenVPN that allows you to do TCP Connections.. since Viscosity is based on OpenVPN too should have the same capabilities.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcwhite View Post
You get any indication that this would mean I also can't connect from home to my company VPN as I need to do to work from home? If this is the case then it is completely ridiculous.
I specifically stated that I needed VPN to access a secure work network from home. The rep confirmed that no kind of VPN would not work at this time over the LTE network.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofRome View Post
Were you able to see if you can use TCP ports to VPN? Big thing here was that you had said you were able to connect to the VPN before using iOS while on the new LTE platform but not by connecting to it on your computer (as you mentioned in the previous post). So wondering if its the firewall blocking UDP VPN connections, vs you can't block TCP VPN connections occurring over standard Internet Ports (80, 443, 563). I use Private Internet Access (PIA) which uses OpenVPN that allows you to do TCP Connections.. since Viscosity is based on OpenVPN too should have the same capabilities.
Based on your suggestion, I tried changin the connection details in Viscosity to connect over TCP instead of UDP. I also switched from port 443 to the others you recommended. After playing for an hour or so, no combination of these tricks got me anywhere.

As it turns out, the iOS connections are pretty flaky. *IF* the connection is made, the VPN symbol displays in the status bar, but sometimes no webpage will load. If it connects with data transfer, Netflix will initialize and acknowledge the change in country, but the stream never begins or else quickly fails.

I'll continue testing and post the Viscosity error log when I can.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garafraxa View Post
I specifically stated that I needed VPN to access a secure work network from home. The rep confirmed that no kind of VPN would not work at this time over the LTE network.
Wow. I guess this means they are leaving the CPE with all the options under VPN Passthrough unchecked (assuming it is the same software as on the 6000s). Xplornet... they just gotta screw up everything.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Wow. I guess this means they are leaving the CPE with all the options under VPN Passthrough unchecked (assuming it is the same software as on the 6000s). Xplornet... they just gotta screw up everything.
Just called them.. They're saying the way the LTE system is in place is that the system is built on a double NAT from their tower to the modem... instead of how the 4G system works now. I don't know if believe them... but they also refused to give me information on Operator or Subscriber access to the new modems used for the LTE system.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Well that doesn't appear to be the issue. I tested disabling these on my 6000 CPE (4G) and I was still able to connect to my work and PIA VPNs... So what is it they are doing to make this not work? Was planning to switch to LTE next month but this is a show stopper and will cause me to switch to Storm Internet who does none of this garbage to their customers.

Last edited by edcwhite : 02-16-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:38 AM

I got this twitter response when I asked about VPN on LTE:

"We are not offering the static IP on the LTE platform. But VPN is still possible, just with the IPV6 instead."

I am not knowledgeable in IPV6. Can anyone make anything out of this or do some testing?
Old 02-17-2015, 08:52 AM

I'm following your Twitter conversation, Ed. I've never played with IPV6 either, I'll try it this afternoon. Fingers crossed!