XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Any Other Wireless Internet Providers Worth Discussing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2015, 12:18 PM

Default omnitecwireless?

Anyone know anything about these guys?

http://www.omnitecwireless.com/

They are in Ottawa and serve both the city and some rural. Their speeds and caps (none!) seem to good to be true. 40/8 with no cap for $55 a month? WTH?
Old 02-09-2015, 02:00 PM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

Seems fishy to me. The site promo wording is odd for what is available, including IPTV which is expensive if not just local stations from a dedicated digital antenna at the ISP. Their website ownership is hiding behind a privacy proxy registrant.
Could be legit, but don't know without further information. May of been around since 2001(or absorbed another name recently as website creation is 2012), but with no footprint expansion in that time?

Theres a few ISP scam artists hiding around Canada. Takes your money and then after a few months the company disappears and then pops up again with a new name and a synonym of the owners name.

As usual, buyer beware. Check for actual customers of a company and not handpicked customers.

Heres a massive thread on a particular scammer ISP in Canada(his target locations drift around).
https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/...able-is-a-scam
Old 02-16-2015, 03:31 PM

The fact that i can make a payment to them without having subscriber information or an account login throws me into believing their a total scam, of which you pay by "Paypal"... On top of the fact that to be a WISP you need to have spectrum unless your borrowing off Cellular networks.. They don't reference their technology and theres no way they could do the plans they are offering at the prices they list. Wondering how you report a company like that for scamming people?
Old 02-16-2015, 06:21 PM

They may be legit -

https://ca.linkedin.com/pub/zia-khan/4/715/62b

They are listed on industry Canada's website

They have a coverage map

They have a physical address that would be easy to verify if its an actual office (For those in the city)

They do have paypal on their site but I have seen many business with similar.

There are many other small pieces on the WWW that would at least make me investigate in person if I was in the area and for some reason did not want to get a 100mbps+ fibre connection from bell.