XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > VOIP
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Linux Member

Default SIP Phone on Jupiter satellite

While I'm still on satellite service -- no word yet on my possible upgrade -- I wanted to try one of the SIP phones to see how well it works on satellite. A friend in the local Linux Users Group loaned me an OBi110 adapter, that turns a regular telephone into a VoIP phone. I've started an account at voip.ms (recommended by another Linux guy) and have managed to get the account and the OBi110 configured correctly.

At the moment there is a perceptible lag, which is expected. When I call my wife on our regular house phone, I can hear her just fine (if delayed), but my "outgoing" voice breaks up quite a lot. (We swapped phones so I could hear this effect for myself.) It may be possible to fix this by tweaking some configuration settings; I'll be trying that over the next day or two.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:49 AM
Linux Member

Oops: my mistake in the title line. I've just learned that "SIPPhone" (with no space) is/was the name of a specific VoIP service (sipphone.com). I'm not using that service. I meant "SIP phone" as a generic term for VoIP phones that use the SIP protocol.

Moderator edit: Fixed it.

Last edited by buttitchi : 07-14-2014 at 12:24 PM. Reason: notation
Old 07-16-2014, 08:16 AM
Linux Member

So far, none of the suggestions in the OBi troubleshooting page have helped. I've tried enabling Quality of Service control on my router (and have also tried using the phone when no other computers in the house were active). I've tried using a different telephone. I've tried tweaking the TxGain and RxGain settings. None of those help.

During the early morning, incoming voice is nearly perfect, and my outgoing voice has the fewest syllables chopped. In the evening, my outgoing voice gets chopped up worse, and during the prime time peak, even the incoming voice gets chopped up. I am not experiencing any echo problems. This makes me think that I'm bandwidth limited. (Last night's prime-time testmy.net measurement showed 400 Kbps down, 600 Kbps up, but I'm not sure how much I believe the "up" figure.)

Poking around in the Obi configuration, I found that there are several codecs available with different data rates. I suspect the default is G711U which uses 64 Kbps to encode audio (plus whatever protocol overhead is required). I'm going to try one of the lower data rate codecs -- they range from 32 Kbps to 8 Kbps. I'll probably get a more "muffled" sound, but that's better than the extreme choppiness.

P.S. thanks for fixing the thread title!
Old 07-16-2014, 04:01 PM
Linux Member

I think I have it.

The voip.ms Wiki also suggested changing codecs to solve the choppy voice problem. It turns out they support only three: g711u, g729 and GSM. Of those, the OBi supports only g711u (64 Kbps) and g729 (8 Kbps).

Today I disabled g771u, allowing only g729. And there was a remarkable improvement in the voice quality -- very few dropouts. So I think I guessed right -- the problem was limited bandwidth "up". I'll be curious now to see how well this works in the prime time hours. Of course there's still a hellacious delay, due to the satellite latency, but that's unavoidable, and as long as the audio isn't garbled I can live with it.

According to Wikipedia, DTMF (touch-tone) doesn't work well with G729. But there is a fix, RFC2833, to do DTMF signalling through the SIP protocol. voip.ms supports that; I'm not sure about the OBi -- more research required. (Needless to say, g729 and RFC2833 will be "must have" features when I actually go to buy my own SIP adapter.)

Edited to add: yes, it looks like the OBi110 supports RFC2833.

Last edited by Brad R : 07-16-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:44 PM

Hi Brad,

I had tested using a voip setup, and at the end I gave up. Here was my setup:

1. Polycom IP550
2. Zyxel Zywall USG50
3. Voip.ms account

I played with the setup for around 1 week. I was not able to get outgoing voice to perform consistently. Even using G.729a - which only requires like 30 odd Kbps of bandwidth worked only sometimes. The other issue I had - which I think was caused by the double NAT situation - was SIP would often stop working until the phone was rebooted. On the router, I could see the session was "active" but no traffic was passing. So an incoming call would just ring (to the caller) with the polycom phone not receiving it. I also had frequent disconnects of the RTP traffic (carries the actual voice between Voip.ms and my phone) The disconnections where infrequent and random. On the polycom the call would turn to dead air, on the other end it would hang up mid call.

At work I have around 30 sites running with the USG20/50 and of those sites 15 of them are voip sites using polycom phones - same setup I was trying at home. I have a 'standard' config that works great when using MTS VDSL2 (Winnipeg), Eastlink Cable (Atlantic Canada) or Bell DSL (Ontario) but in my week of testing I simply could not get it to work right - EDIT - with echostar 17

On another note, logging into the Hughes modem, I notice there is a section for SIP. It is too bad Xplornet would not offer the possibility of voip like Hughes does. I am sure they have ways to accelerate and prioritize Voip traffic if they chose to.

-Edit-

Also wanted to add that voip.ms is not to blame. I use them at work for specific activities, and literally I can count on 1 hand issues I have had with them in 2 years. The pricing cannot be beat for what we use them for - especially in the states. They literally save us 10k a year per site, over what we used to pay with a nationally recognized US telephone company.

Last edited by dave_ca : 07-21-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:06 AM
Linux Member

I confess, I really haven't been working with it for the last week. I need to give it a more thorough testing. And I need to try it for incoming calls. I haven't yet registered a phone number for it. I need to get to this, because I expect I won't have satellite for long. (Still waiting for the fixed-wireless installer to call back.)

One thing I've noticed in the last few days is that the OBi110 is sending a lot of packets on the local area network -- not going out to satellite. I should probably make time to investigate this. On the other hand, this is a loaner, and not what I will use eventually.

The local chap who recommended voip.ms has been using it for over a year for a business PBX, and is switching his home phone over to it. And he's a guy whose knowledge and experience I really respect. (I'm also going to buy the SIP adapter he recommends, the Linksys SPA3102.)

Edited to add: I should mention that the local chap is connecting his IP phone to an Asterisk PBX, and it's Asterisk that is talking to voip.ms. He's not doing a direct SIP connection like I'm trying to do.

Last edited by Brad R : 07-22-2014 at 08:13 AM.