XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > VOIP
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 10:16 AM

Default Vonage VoIP + Xplornet - NAT issues.

I'll post this here for the benefit of anyone else who ends up in my situation.

Xplornet: Rural Wireless 4G/WiMAX (Kemptville/Merrickville Ont. area)
Package: Performance/Download Speed (up to) 5.0 Mbps [laughs]
Static IP: $9.99 extra a month
Service: Vonage VoIP (Voice over IP) telephone service.

Please note: What I explain here is VoIP issues, otherwise Internet access is like other ISP's and probably does not concern the majority of Internet users.

If your are considering Xplornet 4G/WiMAX, this requires a SM (subscriber module) [laymen: an antenna on a tower outside/or side of your house], you'll have to pay for a static IP address.

I do not know how the Satellite service works. But with just the latency issues of Satellite communications, it would render VoIP telephone service useless.

I'll speak to how my local Xplornet WiMAX works, I would assume this is how it works industry wide.

The way Xplornet implements their wireless WiMAX/4G in the Kemptville/Merrickville area, is that you are under a region wide WiFi Canopy. A way to visualize this is to imagine the city of Kemptville is "inside" Xplornet's 'house'. So, when I power on my router, it will get a non-public routable IP address [192.168.x.x or 10.10.x.x] from Xplornet's 'router' (so to speak). Much the same way your smart phones/iPods, laptops and PC's get an IP address from 'your' home router.

In a normal/ideal setup, your router would have a public/routable IP address facing the Internet [be it static or dynamic]. This allows you to access your home router 'directly' from the public Internet. What home web servers, ftp servers, RDP access, etc require. (Note: ISP's block various ports of these services, this is a topic for a different discussion.)

What the heck is NAT? http://www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm

A home router with a 192.168.x.x IP address (or a 10.10.x.x) is not accessible (directly) from the public Internet without the magic of NAT. If you manage your router remotely, you'll also loose this ability.

The Vonage VoIP device also uses NAT to connect to the Vonage server. So you fire up your Vonage device, your home router gives it a 192.168.x.x or 10.10.x.x address. You are now 2 layers deep. [double NAT, google it, lot's of issues].

Since you can not configure/change NAT rules of the Xplornet NAT tables, you're left with no VoIP service from Vonage.

Disclaimer, a network GURU could make it work if he had access to both NAT tables, you don't -- unless you hack into the Xplornet routers upstream! Don't even try it LOL

The only solution for me was to purchase a Static IP address ($9.99) extra a month. Thus negating any real value to VoIP (in my opinion).

With a static/dynamic, public-routable IP address, VoIP works. Now, to get them to fix my speed issues.

NB: Xplorenet does not offer dynamic public IP's in my area.

I hope I explained this in as much of layman's terms as possible.

If it's still murky, please post, and I'll try to answer as plainly as possible.

Last edited by merrickville : 09-13-2012 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Added URL for NAT explaination.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:29 PM

Hi There I Have Same Trouble I Would Like To Talk To You About My Voice Dose Not Work Anymore Since I Went To The 4g Can You Please Get Back To Me Thanks Doug I Live In Smiths Falls
Old 10-07-2012, 12:33 PM

fare30: You need a public IP on the wan side of your router. The only way to achieve this with Xplornet is to pay for a static IP.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:27 PM

I'm on dwyer hill rd not to far from merrickville and I'm thinking of getting the 4g xplorenet service and I'm wondering by having the magic jack plugged in all the time using voip will it eat up bandwith or up and down storage, really don't mind paying the extra 10 a month to drop 30 a month bell

what are you overall thoughts on xplorenet for the area???
Old 11-15-2012, 11:07 AM

I looked into voip using magicjack, etc. We log almost 1000 minutes each month on the phone and to do that would require 8 GB of usage each month. So much for voip.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:59 PM

Default VOIP Working

First I could not begin to try to explain NAT tables so I am no expert.

1. I am connected using Xplornet 5 mpbs fixed wireless.
2. Every time I run speed test it exceeds 5mbps to my ws through my router wireless or not or connected directly to the Xplornet modem. I have ran it several times over a month.
3. I wanted VOIP. I was aware through threads like this there may be issues, but I put 1 foot in front of the other and ordered from PhonePower.com
4. They sent me the adapter kit within a week. I had to call their support to get my router configured properly and their adapter configured properly, but I now have VOIP. Quality is very good. No LD NA Wide, I have a 613 area code. All said and done with the package I purchased including equipment and shipping .... it cost me < 100.00 per year for 2 years all in.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:00 PM

Sounds like they don't do the same things that Vonage does. When I troubleshoot with Vonage, they would not go any further until I got my ISP (Xplornet back then) to remove the NAT/FW. That required me getting a private IP for Vonage VoIP.

So, PhonePower may be the way to go if using Xplornet, no need for a static IP.

If you're in a line of sight to the towers in Merrickville, Diversia Wireless is a local ISP. I have 5MB/2MBup, 50GB a month cap and static IP for $70.00+tax a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwiw88 View Post
First I could not begin to try to explain NAT tables so I am no expert.

1. I am connected using Xplornet 5 mpbs fixed wireless.
2. Every time I run speed test it exceeds 5mbps to my ws through my router wireless or not or connected directly to the Xplornet modem. I have ran it several times over a month.
3. I wanted VOIP. I was aware through threads like this there may be issues, but I put 1 foot in front of the other and ordered from PhonePower.com
4. They sent me the adapter kit within a week. I had to call their support to get my router configured properly and their adapter configured properly, but I now have VOIP. Quality is very good. No LD NA Wide, I have a 613 area code. All said and done with the package I purchased including equipment and shipping .... it cost me < 100.00 per year for 2 years all in.