XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Class Action Lawsuit Forum and Petitions
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2011, 07:13 PM

Default Possible usage based billing class action

The feasibility of a UBB class action is underway.

ubbclassaction.ca

Last edited by buttitchi : 07-12-2012 at 01:41 AM. Reason: disabled dead site link
Old 07-11-2012, 03:03 PM

Default xplornet does it again

I just got a large bill for overusage. They told me I would be able to monitor my usage when the overusage fees came into effect but even after help from their tech could not get it to show usage. I dont remember agreeing to the three year contract they are claiming I have. Wouldnt I have to agree to an overusage contract? I have six living in my home and how can I keep my usage to 20gb? They wont let me out of this "contract" and they cant increase usage so i am stuck with a service that is really inadequate. By the way when I try to go to the class action site I cant access it. ANY Ideas? Please help me!
Old 07-11-2012, 03:57 PM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kus View Post
I just got a large bill for overusage. They told me I would be able to monitor my usage when the overusage fees came into effect but even after help from their tech could not get it to show usage. I dont remember agreeing to the three year contract they are claiming I have. Wouldnt I have to agree to an overusage contract? I have six living in my home and how can I keep my usage to 20gb? They wont let me out of this "contract" and they cant increase usage so i am stuck with a service that is really inadequate. By the way when I try to go to the class action site I cant access it. ANY Ideas? Please help me!
What Xplornet platform are you on?(hughesnet/telesat/viasat/motorola/alvarion) , so I can move these particular posts to the proper forum with your title of "xplornet does it again".

The UBB action is old so no longer is use.

Links to links for your provinces consumer protection,
http://www.xplornetsucks.com/forumss...isplay.php?f=7

plus contact the ccts to get the ball rolling on your Rights. http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/en/

You also have the Right to tell Xplornet to provide and deliver to you all your details from your account. That should also include a 'signed contract'. Some companies will call a 'verbal contract' binding, but verbal contracts must have all the contract details read to the consumer unless the consumer waives the reading of the contract.
Xplornet will possibly deny supplying you with a 'signed contract'(some excuse of it being digital and therefor non-existent.). the contract signed would of been that paper your installer gave you to confirm being in a specified contract term. Maybe your installer possibly write down '3 year contract'(known as fraud) instead of whatever contract length you told him. Your initial payment to Xplornet would of shown an extra install charge of $100 or so(on top of install fee), if not in a 3 year term.

Main issue with having enforced bandwidth caps is the ability for the user to access some type of portal on the companies website to be able to see what their usage is. Failure to provide usage numbers(or warning of nearing maximum usage) could be considered to be a violation of billing practices(?), therefor overage fee's could be deemed unenforceable until the company gets usage monitors working and easily accessible.

Changing the terms of use of service(via adding a maximum usage when there was no written maximum before) in some cases may cause a nullification of contract, due to terms of use being changed(walk away with no penalty).

Last edited by buttitchi : 07-11-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:29 PM

Default Platform?

How do I find out which "platform" I am on? I am in Alberta Canada. Thanks for the swift replies - I may get out of this yet.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:38 AM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kus View Post
How do I find out which "platform" I am on? I am in Alberta Canada. Thanks for the swift replies - I may get out of this yet.
If you have a satellite dish:
Hughesnet KA band modem would be a HN9000(or higher number).
Telesat KA band modem(anik F2) is surfbeam.

If you have white square or a tube looking thing outside:
Modem to Wireless tower is either Motorola(older system) or other(newer system for higher throughout). Parts(power plug? or indoor modem) in your house should have a makers name.

Xplornet has about 4 or 5 platforms(signal delivery methods) in use.
Satellite:
Hughesnet KU (old Hughesnet system that is on lea$ed $atellite$)
Hughesnet KA (plus 2nd satellite 2012 October hughesnet KA)
Telesat KA
Viasat KA in certain regions

Wireless:
Motorola(older system)
Alvarion (newer system)

Of course as technology progress, whatever will do the job good nuff will be the next thing. Some makers are more open for low cost advancements, while some lock down advancement in order to profit by selling new hardware.