XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Xplornet LTE network * (Newest Network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2015, 09:54 AM

So i guess they have upped their LTE cap to 250GB max +25% before limited state activates, This makes it much more appealing. At a 1 year contract, it seems pretty good.

I do have other options, but only up to 5mbps, and longer contracts. I think i will try the LTE system as soon as it is available. I also read that the canopy system was getting replaced with LTE, so maybe they will re-use the towers. If that is the case, i will be able to get service from a fiber fed tower 2 KM DLOS from me, instead of the 20KM NLOS tower i am currently on. I had really nice pings on the canopy system (30ish msec), and got up to 70msec on the 4G system.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:06 PM

I see an installer in NB is saying that Xplornet is going to start offering new packages here next week. Specifically, we can now get 250GB ($69.99) and 500GB ($94.99) caps for the 25Mbps package. I think this is similar to what is already available in Ontario.

To those who are on anything higher than a 100GB cap - is it worth it? I'm all for more data, but I also like consistent performance. Our Internet has been remarkably consistent since LTE, but I'm worried that a larger cap is going to degrade the service for everybody, considering how Xplornet likes to oversubscribe towers. Unlimited usage and oversubscribed towers killed the old Expedience fixed wireless system here. Do you think LTE will be up to the challenge? I don't know the capacity for LTE-TDD, but I think it's somewhere around 100-150Mbps. Or maybe Xplornet's recent spectrum acquisitions will help it to expand capacity? Let me know your thoughts.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:33 AM

All depends on how Xplornet decides to handle the tower capacities for LTE. The very least they are keeping the WI-MAX on towers and just adding LTE to them. I feel like they are dropping the ball big time with their national conversion plan.

While I don't have the engineer plans, The majority of my town is pointed at one tower and it's not getting the LTE upgrade until early 2016.. While the other two that are within the "30KM" range are upgraded. (Waiting to get the installer back to see if I can hit the supposed "Closer" one.

Honestly, what Xplornet needs is more competition.. It will force better products, costs, and benefits for customers. Because they are "Depending on Area" The only retailer in an area, they control the field. Time will tell. IF bell/Cogeco pushed into smaller towns.. I think Xplornet would be screwed. As it stands, in my Area it's Xplornet or KoS.. KoS will have LTE by mid summer.. if it's as fast as Xplornet I'll be dropping Xplornet. I honestly think capacity isn't their issue, it's how slowly they are upgrading the platform that's going to hurt them.

LTE is a far better platform and far far faster. I think it can handle much more than the old platform.As for the Bandwidth, I really think 250GB should be the minimum with 500GB being the norm. Streaming is the primary use for internet these days. My household uses netflix a lot.. We need the 500GB, we have 175GB right now and we are usually 5 to 10GB from the cap each much. No one in my house even binge watches.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:04 AM

It sucks that the rollout is so slow. We were thankful for the upgrade here - we didn't even have WiMax. LTE has been a gamechanger for us. I can play online games, watch Netflix in HD, Skype, use VPN, etc. with no performance issues. I just hope it lasts. The old FW platform had people on grandfathered unlimited usage plans, which seemed to just overload the network and ensure that no one had acceptable performance. I do not want to go back to the days of dial-up speeds again.

Good luck with the installer. Let us know if it works and give us a review.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherguy View Post
It sucks that the rollout is so slow. We were thankful for the upgrade here - we didn't even have WiMax. LTE has been a gamechanger for us. I can play online games, watch Netflix in HD, Skype, use VPN, etc. with no performance issues. I just hope it lasts. The old FW platform had people on grandfathered unlimited usage plans, which seemed to just overload the network and ensure that no one had acceptable performance. I do not want to go back to the days of dial-up speeds again.

Good luck with the installer. Let us know if it works and give us a review.
Ahh, well it's good you jumped to LTE! Glad you are enjoying it. I really do hope it stays at optimum speeds.

Crossing my fingers as well. The tower is suppose to go live tomorrow and I'm on high priority to get me to LTE. If it doesn't work I don't know what I'm going to do, the installer has already stated our current WIMAX tower has issues and Xplornet isn't really on the ball with getting the tower fixed. I heard KoS is pushing LTE by the end of the summer and I might have to jump over it they get it to me first.

As it stands with the 10mbps package I watch the modems speeds and I rarely get a download speed of over 150kbps and we can't watch netflix in HD, only SD. The Xplornet techs won't help (I'm assuming it's because they don't want to fix our tower)

But! I'll let you know if we get LTE. Crossing my fingers hardcore.