XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Any Other Wireless Internet Providers Worth Discussing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2015, 11:37 AM

Default Point To Point Broadband..Better?

Hey all
I live out in the country(north of Barrie) where we don't have a good internet service as i guess most of you suffer from.
I have tried the Bell Hub, The rogers hub, Dr Logic(not bad but expensive) if you use it a lot). Now with Xplornet...it is cheaper then Dr Logic and isn't bad at times(middle of the day or late at night) Evenings it deteriorates badly.

Recently a new provider came on the scene called Point to Point Broadband. They tell me they are great and much better then what I'm use to.
I was just curious if anyone has had any experience with their service??
Am tempted to try it out, but the monthly cost is more then xplornet and then there is the install charge.
Any input appreciated...
Thanks
Old 03-18-2015, 03:58 PM

So nobody has any info or experience with Point to Point broadband?
Too bad, am very curious if its worth the extra money to switch.

Called Xplorent to find out about cancelling and they want me to try this Wimax service, say it will be much better. Anyone have any luck with that?
Thanks
Old 03-19-2015, 02:34 PM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

With the 'point to point' company, you need to find out what the 'sustained speed' is. They list their speed as 'burst'.

Xplornet has had the same 'burst' speed on their old Motorola system. That burst could be 3Mbps per the first 10MB of data coming in and then would go to 'sustained' at 1.5Mbps or lower(depending on congestion for the time of day).

Another to look at is the 'fair usage policy'.
What things do they throttle? Do they do the Xplornet style dreadful throttle of everything that isn't email or plain webpage? Will you be subjected to a throttle if you exceed a certain number of MB per hour/day/week? Are security updates throttled? Do they see any style of P2P protocol as needing to be blocked?

With the 'upgrade' Xplornet wants to 'try', make sure they don't stick you into a contract without your permission. If you are on the old Motorolla system, upgrading usually doesn't hurt, unless the tower can't handle all the subscribers already on it. Eventually they will have LTE rolled out everywhere sometime into 2017.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:17 PM

I have the WiMAx service (upgraded from the old Motorola service) and it is very dependable. While most people seem focused on "download speeds", I look at the over all customer experience. On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being the worst), WiMax gets a 9.5, the old Motorola Canopy, a 1.5. With WiMax I can watch Netflix with no hesitation while downloading Windoze (yes it's spelled correctly in my book) updates. I also use a MagicJack for LD and never had a problem (but I did config my router to give is the highest QoS though).

All-in-all, two thumbs up for WiMax.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:25 AM

I lived in Oro Medonte for a few years and we uses Point to Point.

They have been around for a long time.

At the time they pushed the Canopy system @ 900 meg.

It worked ok most of the time and was quite reliable using Vonage.

I dont remember the speeds sorry.