XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > VOIP
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 07:03 AM
Linux Member

Default Skype on Jupiter satellite

I tried my first Skype call on our new Jupiter (Echostar 17) satellite service last night. This was at 7:30 pm, during the "slow period" for Jupiter (we typically see 100-200 Kbps down during the evenings, sometimes less).

The good: it worked.

The bad: incoming audio was choppy and sometimes garbled. I gather that my outgoing audio also got chopped up. Worse, it dropped the connection several times. We finally switched to using landline telephone to complete our conversation.

Ah, well. "The amazing thing about a waltzing bear is not how well it waltzes, but that it waltzes at all." I'll try again sometime in the off-peak hours, to see if the increased bandwidth improves performance.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:03 PM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

Hughesnet U.S. does have their VOIP program for Echostar17 out of Beta.
"Optimized" is such a loose term on how they keep quality over latency. It most probably means it gets 100% priority over anything else.

I wonder if using a different port number for skype might get better results during primetime? Depends on what ports Xplornet/Telesat is giving priority for over all other traffic/ports and if latency is spread across the board.

http://gen4.hughesnet.com/promo/voice
Quote:
HughesNet Voice is available to residential customers on the EchoStar« XVII satellite. Unlimited calling for all residential plans are based on normal residential, personal, non-commercial use. A combination of factors is used to determine abnormal use, including but not limited to: the number of unique numbers called, calls forwarded, minutes used and other factors. Service is subject to our HughesNet Voice Subscription Agreement and Reasonable Use Policy. Service (including 911/emergency services) will not function during periods of Internet service outage. Because HughesNet Voice utilizes HughesNet Internet access service, latencyŚthe gap between the time when you stop speaking to the time when the other person on the call hears your voiceŚwill be longer than with a terrestrial-based system. Transfers of existing telephone number not always available.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:36 PM
Linux Member

I had occasion yesterday to try Skype again. Yesterday morning. This was both audio and video.

Incoming audio and video were both fairly smooth. I noticed the video break up a few times, but only a few glitches in the audio. The party I was talking to seemed to find my audio ok. I should have asked about the quality of the video picture I was sending him, but I forgot.

The worst thing, of course, was the lag. He'd stop talking, so I'd start...and then he'd start to say something else, so we talked over each other. I did that too. I expect with practice I'll remember to leave long delays when I'm done talking, and stop my habits like saying "uh huh" while the other person is talking (which, a few seconds later, makes him stop and listen rather than continue talking).

All in all, I'd rate the experience as "usable."