XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > ROGERS Rocket HUB USER Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2016, 07:43 PM

Default Had to ask the question

Me: Virgin Mobile Wireless Home Plan 300 GB PLAN save $5/mo. FOR 2 YEARS NOW $45/MO. Download up to 25 Mbps + Upload up to 10 Mbps Can you folks tell me why you dont offer a plan like this? We cant get Xplornet wireless (SOLD OUT) and the other WISP is wireless dial-up. We need something for school and home in the area. Your current service is really expensive! and has very low CAP's. I would commit to a 2 year deal is we could get a better plan! Regards, Robert

Their reply

Rogers Management Office, responding on XXXX's behalf. Thank you for providing that information; I was able to authenticate you.

I have reviewed Virgin Mobile's site, and I was able to locate the plan that you're referring to. Based on the information that I could see, Virgin's home Internet service does not work on the wireless network like your phone, but is wired Internet with a WiFi modem. Virgin's parent company is Bell, so it probably runs on Bell's Fibe network. Fido has a similar offer which runs on Rogers' cable network. Unfortunately it looks like neither Rogers' nor Bell's networks cover your address; I checked your address on Virgin's site.

The reason that wireless Internet rates are more expensive is due to the availability of space: wireless bandwidth is much more limited at this time than cable bandwidth, so access to it comes at a premium rate. No one is able to offer wireless Internet at the same rates as hard-wired.

If you have any questions about this concern, please let us know.

Thank you,
Old 12-26-2016, 07:45 PM

THEN I sent this to them, no reply as of yet!!!!!

Thank you for the reply, please see what Telus has started to do this makes sense.

FYI-Available so far in Alberta and BC

TELUS High Speed Internet with Smart Hub, is an ideal at-home Internet solution:

Powered by TELUS' LTE Network
Download speeds averaging 12-25 Mbps
Big data buckets at competitive monthly rates, starting at $60 per month A high speed Wi-Fi connection that lets you connect multiple devices

Get the ZTE MF725R Smart Hub for FREE on a 2 year term with all plans. No term fee is $300.

50 GB monthly data
$60 per month

100 GB monthly data
$75 per month

250 GB monthly data
$110 per month

Additional data usage is $10 per 5GB with all plans.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:48 AM

Hello Robert,

Thank you for forwarding that information. Please keep in mind that Telus has a very robust wireless network out west, and the population is much smaller than it is here in southern Ontario. This is why it's only available in AB and BC right now. As our LTE coverage expands and we are able to support more bandwidth on our network, I'm sure that prices will come down on our end as well.

Thank you,
XXXXX
Manager, Rogers Management Office
Old 12-27-2016, 06:09 PM

Last reply

Hello Robert,

You are correct, the CRTC has deemed high-speed Internet a "basic service". They have also set a goal to expand coverage from the current 82% of Canadian households to 90% by 2021, and to the rest within the next 10-15 years. They know that this is not going to be an overnight thing. Rogers will comply with all requirements put forth by the CRTC, just as we do now.

None of the information I have provided has been confidential; you are free to share it with whomever you wish.

Thank you,
Old 12-28-2016, 12:54 PM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

I sure hope that there is not any collusion between Rogers/Bell and Xplornet, in order to hinder rural fibre to the home, in order for Xplornet to continue its stranglehold on rural users.
If you see excuses coming out that Bell/Rogers are concentrating on current cities upgrades from internet on copper, while an area of a few hundred homes keeps publicly asking over and over again for an easy to build fibre service, shit hopefully will hit the fan.
Telus has an up to two decade plan for FTTH (fibre to the home) upgrades, and expansion to areas without current copper/fibre internet infrastructure will take time, but LTE from the Cell towers is a great patch until then. https://www.telus.com/en/ab/internet/new/smart-hub Apparently there is at least a 30% cost savings on operating a FTTH network, compared to copper to the home. Less power, zero corrosion problems, and a range of a dozen miles instead of a couple of miles per node.

With the new rules for minimum speeds and quality of service being engaged, a product like Xplornet is offering would hopefully lose out on the yearly millions of Federal dollars in welfare, in order for others to bring fibre to the home instead.
Unfortunately, people still need to inform their local idiot politicians on how fibre to the home is the only thing that should be subsidized by either standard corporate welfare for a proper fibre service to the home, or as in the case of Telus fibre where minimal permitting makes for a faster job at lower costs, while still abiding by the usual regulations for infrastructure improvements.

That Eastern Ontario Wardens Caucus (EOWC) and EORN fibre ring, I've heard it could use a Federal audit, if the people affected by what actually happened would push more. Seems that what was promised never quite happened and Xplornet got the perks of connectivity, instead of many prospective fibre to the home companies like Bell Rogers and Independents. Along with the loose connection to the 'Deferral Account' (hidden Telco customer tax) for Bell, which was about a 1/2 billion dollar fund for Bell (the other 1/2 billion for Telus) from when the Cable Companies started with their VOIP. The fibre ring gave deep fibre to rural areas, but what was supposed to be done and what actually happened for internet service to the rural areas is two different things. The Deferral Account was during the pre-fibre to the home era, but any actual copper service may of purposely sucked for speeds, while the much of the funds instead went to subsidize many Bell cell towers with restrictive data packages for the end users. A good writeup https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31153192-

With Telus, a part of their fibre to the home is the ability to enlarge their fibre backbone and to upgrade as many towers as possible to be fully robust in capacity. They also have expanded into other future proof industries that is not media buying/controlling stupidity. In many cases Rogers/Bell/Shaw buying other's content and saying "I made this! and you can only get it from me!".
https://www.telus.com/en/ab/internet/fibre/communities
Rogers and Bell though, they are extremely more concerned with shareholder profits, than having a fully capable tower that only sees maximum use 3 months of the year, while the rest of the time is just the locals who get stuck with inflated price cell data plans.
The other hindrance of Bell/Rogers is their dead market media empire. Its gotten to the point where if not for trashing the U.S. cable TV signal to enlarge advertising revenue for the Canadian TV networks, no one would give a shit about the major Canadian networks. And fuck off to the Minister of Canadian Heritage who for decades is one of the biggest censorship asshole in Canada.

Last edited by buttitchi : 12-29-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:09 PM

Well said!!!!!!!and where do we start? I am fed up with the bullshit as well 7 kms from rogers fiber line 3 KMs from Hydro Ones F*cking fiber line (which we all paid for in Ontario!)

http://www.hydroonetelecom.com/

But they still f*ck us all the way to the bank.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:15 PM

Bell Samsung device over Canada's largest network

Talk to a Bell rep and they had the same story sorry but we are screwing you! But we have the largest network. So I had to ask why can Telus make it happen in BC and Alberta then?? She then offered me a GREAT deal on TV? WTF I didnt ask about TV were do they get these assholes from.

So if you live in a rural area you get

1. No affordable internet if you can even get it!
2. fucked on Hydro delivery charge
3. Higher taxes and no services (we get garbage pick up)

Happy New year all
Old 12-31-2016, 12:20 PM

FROM Hydro One TELCO didnt know they had one! And its 4 KMs from my house and Tax payers paid for it

Hello XXXX, I was asked to contact you regarding Hydro One Telecom Business solutions, we have Ethernet connectivity from 10 Meg to 1 Gig and wavelength services up to 10 Gig. We also have Internet Transit available at our network POP’s or delivered over a Local Loop from a Partner.
If you have any specific areas of interest or have a solution requirement in mind let me know and I will look into it and get back to you.
Thanks

Last edited by markl : 12-31-2016 at 12:25 PM.