XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Hughesnet Echostar 17(Jupiter1/Gen4) Satellite Forum * (2012 satellite) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2015, 03:37 PM

Default Vpn

Is it possible to use a vpn on satelite to download with?

Thanks
Old 01-02-2015, 04:24 PM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

The encryption scheme of VPN will slow down your speed. Though it does hide the contents of your traffic from Xplornet.

Turn off Hughesnet satellite turbopage(server cached content to speed up connection) to avoid possible interference in establishing the VPN.
At systemcontrolcenter.com or 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.100 Some option buttons may be hard to see.
http://www.xplornetsucks.com/forumss...6&postcount=11

Hughesnet answer:
http://www.hughesnet.com/index.cfm?page=faq
Quote:
VPNs. Since your home is approximately 22,000 miles away from the HughesNet satellite in space, VPN usage for residential customers is generally not recommended as you may see overall speed reduced by 50–70% because of data encryption. Therefore, you may not be able to perform the activities you would like to do online. However, your normal speeds will return once you disconnect from a VPN if you choose to use it with HughesNet. Note: HughesNet Technical Support does not provide help with configuring or troubleshooting problems associated with VPN clients.
Viasat answer:
http://www.exede.com/what-is-exede/faqs#question7
Quote:
7. Can I use VPN (virtual private network) on the Exede service?

Virtual Private Networks (‘VPN’) and other remote computer access software (such as that used to connect business servers to at-home workers) may be very slow with Exede Internet. Some VPNs may not work at all.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:49 PM

When I used VPN to work (100Mbps connection on the other side) from my 5mbps Sat connection, I would typically see under 1Mbps in actual throughput. So it does work, just not very well.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:09 AM

Hello

So there is nothing that can be done to improve the performance of a vpn connection?

I have a friend that works from home that has 4g satellite with the 10meg speed package and connected directly to the modem the speed tested with testmy.net is a consistent 7.7megs down and about 500kb upload.

Plugging the computer to the vpn module (Aruba RAP-3WN) and the speeds are well below 200kb for download and about 150kb for uploads which makes the usage of a voip telephone plugged thru the Aruba impossible to use.

Anything that can be done? Some setting that could be changed somewhere that would increase the speed just enough for the whole system to be usable??

I will take anything.