XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Generic question forum (don't know where to post?)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2015, 07:00 PM

Default Best non-xplornet service for rural Wellington/Halton county?

I'm basically on the outskirts of Guelph near the border with Halton county. I used to have xplornet's kazaam satellite service (I think that's what it was called), and absolutely hated it - horribly, horribly slow and cut out all the time. In 2011, I switched to Rogers Rocket Hub, and while speeds are fine, the bandwidth caps plus overage charges are brutal. What with the Windows 10 3-gig "free" download coming up, I thought I should look into alternatives.

Sadly, none seem to exist I've heard back from both Silo Wireless and Netflash that they don't service my area, and as for xplornet fixed wireless...the installer (Northwind) told me all they have nearby is an old 3g tower, which means I'm not eligible for any of the 1-year LTE plans - I'd be stuck with the old 3-year contract for 3g service.

Any other alternatives I could look at? The old Rogers Rocket hub plan that I'm still on is $45/month for 3gb with tiered overage - most of the time, I pay $81/10gb, but if I dare go over 10, I'm clobbered with the $10/gb fee. I'd be willing to consider a similar hub from a different provider if they offered more bandwidth for the buck...
Old 07-18-2015, 05:07 AM
Linux Member

I'm sorry I can't offer any suggestions. I've been in a similar situation, including a short, unsatisfactory stint with Rogers (I dropped them and went back to satellite). We finally got Xplornet 4g fixed wireless here last year, and it has been meeting our needs.

When I last checked -- a year or two ago -- the only hub similar to the Rogers Hub was the one from Bell, and their pricing plan was nearly identical to Rogers.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:20 AM

Dissatisfied as I am with Rogers' ridiculous pricing plan, I'd never go back to satellite (I swear it was slower than dialup half the time, and https sites in particular were rendered unusable)

Are you at all familiar with xplornet's old 3g wireless service, the one they say is available to me at the moment?
Old 07-19-2015, 10:43 AM
Linux Member

Sorry, I have no personal experience. But if it's the service I've seen described on this forum, using the Motorola equipment, it sounds awful. As I recall, that service uses unlicensed frequencies (2.4 GHz) so there's lots of potential for interference, and Xplornet has configured the equipment for pretty severe throttling ("burst" speeds lasting only 3 seconds or so). Perhaps others here can comment.