XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Generic question forum (don't know where to post?)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2015, 02:20 PM

Exclamation Free equipment upgrade wow??

???
We have sat service (or maybe disservice), Anik, I think...
We got an email presumably from Xplornet offering free equipment upgrade wow. The link was identified by Kaspersky malware protection as an unsafe site, specifically HEUR:Trojan.Script.Generic.
My first thought was that it was phishing, that it was not really from xplornet. But they replied vaguely that the site was theirs, and they had no problem accessing the site... wot... And we got a letter with the offer and another link... which Kaspersky also hated.
Whats up, folks?
And, aside from that, I would be interested in comments on Xplornet's wonderful short-time-only-offer.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:23 AM
Linux Member

When you say "they replied" do you mean you called them on the telephone and spoke to a rep, or you replied to the email you had received? The latter is not very trustworthy.

Some of the web site malware detectors suffer from "false positives," that is, they identify an innocent site as unsafe. On the other hand, if Kaspersky is specific enough to find "Trojan.Script.Generic", then maybe there is some dodgy script code on that site. The fact that Xplornet had "no problem" accessing the site doesn't mean the site is clean; it just means they aren't running malware detection on their browser.

And yes, legit sites can get infected with malware. Some years ago one of the sites I administer got hacked and some Javascript inserted. If the attacker is skillful, it can go undetected for quite a while.

If you're going to post the dodgy URL here, please post it in two pieces so that no one clicks on it by mistake.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:14 PM

Brad R, thanks..
They replied, to an email sent to their support site.. definitely not a phish link. My partner is looking into it via Kaspersky... I may check out the link via a linux computer. I wonder how good their free equipment offer is. I lack trust.