XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Xplornet 4G Wireless Tower Forum (Alvarion equipment) * (newer network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2014, 12:23 PM

Default Xplornet 4G vs Console Gaming?

I upgraded to the 4G service a few months ago because they gave their word that it would be better than our old service for gaming. They were half right, I suppose. We don't really "lag" all too much. However, we rarely even get into lobbies. This faster service doesn't mean anything if we can't do that. Hell, we're paying over 100 dollars a month for this crappy 5Mbps connection, with only 100GB of monthly usage.

So, after about three months of fighting with our routers and Xplornet, we decided to pick up a static IP under the word of Xplornet (yet again, we made this mistake). They said that it would solve our lobby finding issue. Did it? Hell no. If anything, it just made us even more angry about the crappy service. So, after a day of fighting with port forwarding, Activision support, and the users who post on the public forums, we decided to call Xplornet again (probably the tenth time this month, we knew about the 2-3 day outages and such, so it didn't bother us). We started talking to this lady and she was nice and such, so I pitched the question. I asked why our gaming experience is more or less the same after getting the static IP, and she said "We can't guarantee that it will improve the experience." WE WERE ALREADY PAYING THESE PEOPLE 90 DOLLARS A MONTH. 90 goddamn dollars for 5Mbps?! And then they wanted us to pay for a static IP (which should be free in the first place), which may or may not help? That's 100 dollars a month for a service that we were told would be better than our crappy 1.5Mbps service.

Admittedly, we could only game on our old service if nobody else was on, but at least we could game. It's absolutely ridiculous that these people are just sucking the life out of people with their horrible service. Everything about the service itself appears fine. Consistent speeds and not a terrible ping. It's just completely useless for gaming (which is what we were promised would improve specifically).

Is there something I'm missing here? Hell, I'll post here what I did on Activision's site.

"NAT: Open

5Mbps down (more than enough to play Call of Duty, considering I was doing it with 1.5Mbps less than 3 months ago)

Wired

Ports Forwarded (from portforward.com, Activision support, and aid of users on this site)

Static IP (We got a static IP yesterday with the ISP's confidence that it would solve the lobby problem)"

Am I missing anything? Or does Xplornet's 4G service just completely blow chunks for gaming?
Old 10-23-2014, 01:42 PM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

Lets try some things, shall we.....

Match Making specs
https://support.activision.com/artic...-Public-Match/

This one is to change some settings for LAG. For quality of the connection for you and others.
http://support.activision.com/articl...ltiplayer-Game
Quote:
matchmaking will find the best connection quality games available. For the smaller percentage of players who do not fall within this category, your network connection quality may benefit from adjusting some of your online gameplay patterns.

Additionally, the game provides the option to change your matchmaking search preferences to favor getting into better quality games (which may extend the time it takes to find a match) or getting into games faster (which may result in lower quality network connection with the host). In the “Find Match” playlist selection screen, press the button labeled “Search Preferences” and select your preference of either matchmaking speed or connection quality.
The 'host' is a server and not just another players home machine?

This is a way to check to see if you do have a static IP, just in case xplornet forgot. The ping tool requires an open connection/router that does not block/ignore pings.
http://network-tools.com/
The other way is to ping your specific open port from the Internet(another machine).

This is Netalyzer. Java based and will tell you things about your connection path to and back from its servers.
http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/

Depending on where your IP will show as its Geo-Location, you could try a Google DNS. 8.8.8.8 , 8.8.4.4 . Lets say that using Xplornet DNS, your traffic goes to New Brunswick then back to the Internet. Google DNS may change the path to your Lobby server.
Do a trace route while using either DNS.

To check for port problems, you could temporarily router DMZ your gaming machine as a test to see if your port forwarding/firewall-setting may not be working. Set a static LAN IP on your gaming machine and enter that IP into the router.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttitchi View Post
Lets try some things, shall we.....

Match Making specs
https://support.activision.com/artic...-Public-Match/

This one is to change some settings for LAG. For quality of the connection for you and others.
http://support.activision.com/articl...ltiplayer-Game

The 'host' is a server and not just another players home machine?

This is a way to check to see if you do have a static IP, just in case xplornet forgot. The ping tool requires an open connection/router that does not block/ignore pings.
http://network-tools.com/
The other way is to ping your specific open port from the Internet(another machine).

This is Netalyzer. Java based and will tell you things about your connection path to and back from its servers.
http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/

Depending on where your IP will show as its Geo-Location, you could try a Google DNS. 8.8.8.8 , 8.8.4.4 . Lets say that using Xplornet DNS, your traffic goes to New Brunswick then back to the Internet. Google DNS may change the path to your Lobby server.
Do a trace route while using either DNS.

To check for port problems, you could temporarily router DMZ your gaming machine as a test to see if your port forwarding/firewall-setting may not be working. Set a static LAN IP on your gaming machine and enter that IP into the router.
Thanks. I do have a static IP and everything seems to check out on those sites. Oddly enough, my Netalyzr test recognized my Router's UPnP as a major abnormality. Is UPnP a bad thing? As far as I know, most games recommend UPnP.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:33 PM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

Problem with UPnP is certain programs may open ports without permission(virus) and or change router DNS numbers. Other programs may open the ports needed during play time, but not close them when done, resulting in an open port for probing/attack.
http://www.howtogeek.com/122487/htg-...security-risk/

GRC ShieldsUp! test. 3/4 of the way down the page. Will show open ports and you can specify a port to see if it indeed open(if answering or not ignoring the probes)
https://www.grc.com/default.htm
Old 10-23-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttitchi View Post
Problem with UPnP is certain programs may open ports without permission(virus) and or change router DNS numbers. Other programs may open the ports needed during play time, but not close them when done, resulting in an open port for probing/attack.
http://www.howtogeek.com/122487/htg-...security-risk/

GRC ShieldsUp! test. 3/4 of the way down the page. Will show open ports and you can specify a port to see if it indeed open(if answering or not ignoring the probes)
https://www.grc.com/default.htm
"THE EQUIPMENT AT THE TARGET IP ADDRESS
DID NOT RESPOND TO OUR UPnP PROBES!"

So that's a bit of a relief. Thanks for all of your help so far, man.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoValidation View Post
I upgraded to the 4G service a few months ago because they gave their word that it would be better than our old service for gaming. They were half right, I suppose. We don't really "lag" all too much. However, we rarely even get into lobbies. This faster service doesn't mean anything if we can't do that. Hell, we're paying over 100 dollars a month for this crappy 5Mbps connection, with only 100GB of monthly usage.

So, after about three months of fighting with our routers and Xplornet, we decided to pick up a static IP under the word of Xplornet (yet again, we made this mistake). They said that it would solve our lobby finding issue. Did it? Hell no. If anything, it just made us even more angry about the crappy service. So, after a day of fighting with port forwarding, Activision support, and the users who post on the public forums, we decided to call Xplornet again (probably the tenth time this month, we knew about the 2-3 day outages and such, so it didn't bother us). We started talking to this lady and she was nice and such, so I pitched the question. I asked why our gaming experience is more or less the same after getting the static IP, and she said "We can't guarantee that it will improve the experience." WE WERE ALREADY PAYING THESE PEOPLE 90 DOLLARS A MONTH. 90 goddamn dollars for 5Mbps?! And then they wanted us to pay for a static IP (which should be free in the first place), which may or may not help? That's 100 dollars a month for a service that we were told would be better than our crappy 1.5Mbps service.

Admittedly, we could only game on our old service if nobody else was on, but at least we could game. It's absolutely ridiculous that these people are just sucking the life out of people with their horrible service. Everything about the service itself appears fine. Consistent speeds and not a terrible ping. It's just completely useless for gaming (which is what we were promised would improve specifically).

Is there something I'm missing here? Hell, I'll post here what I did on Activision's site.

"NAT: Open

5Mbps down (more than enough to play Call of Duty, considering I was doing it with 1.5Mbps less than 3 months ago)

Wired

Ports Forwarded (from portforward.com, Activision support, and aid of users on this site)

Static IP (We got a static IP yesterday with the ISP's confidence that it would solve the lobby problem)"

Am I missing anything? Or does Xplornet's 4G service just completely blow chunks for gaming?
I feel your pain man, I am a PC gamer and the lag is sometimes terrible on the 4g. When it comes to online gaming, pc or console an increase in your speed does not translate into better ping times. For most gaming with voice chat a 1mbit connection is more than adequate. You need to download pingplotter (google it) and find out your path to determine where the spikes and packet loss are. If it is within explornets network you may have a valid argument and ask if they can re-route your hops to other towers in your area (if possible). If your round trip ping is more than 90-100ms your gaming experience online will suffer.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:17 PM

As someone who lives 12 minutes out of Belleville Ontario and stuck with either KoS or Xplornet. I feel your pain. I game, PS4/PC. It's pretty much useless for me. I have a decent AC router and a switch. So all my wired connections go through the switch. My Wifi is MAC filtered. I have xplornet 10mbps package with 100GB a month, 116$ a month. It runs like ass.

I can run a speed test anywhere in the house, wired/wireless. From any website and I'll see MAX 2mbps and 1mbps up. I'm suppose to be on a 10mbps package. If I call tech support they say they don't trust speed test sites. I'm Fixed Wireless with 100ms delay. My father 2 hours away is on Satellite and he always see 11mbps down on any speed test he does with 700+ delay.

Sorry for rambling. My PS4 is wired, takes hours to download ANYTHING. I cannot play any BF 4 matches bigger than Team Deathmatch. On PC my WoW Latency is god awful.

The 100GB cap is worthless, anyone runs any youtube or netflix video and our network grinds to a crawl.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:59 PM
Linux Member

Say, if you're paying $116 per month, you should at least call them and ask for the current price. Xtreme10 with 100GB cap is now selling for $70/month.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad R View Post
Say, if you're paying $116 per month, you should at least call them and ask for the current price. Xtreme10 with 100GB cap is now selling for $70/month.
Really? Sheesh, my last bill:

MONTHLY USAGE - 80GB Oct 15/2014 to Nov 14/2014 $ 20.00
EQUIPMENT RENTAL Oct 15/2014 to Nov 14/2014 $ 5.00
STREAM Oct 15/2014 to Nov 14/2014 $ 77.99
SubTotal $ 102.99
HST (875999427RT0001) 13% $ 13.39
Invoice Total $ 116.38
Total Balance Due $ 116.38
Old 10-28-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziomarco View Post
I feel your pain man, I am a PC gamer and the lag is sometimes terrible on the 4g. When it comes to online gaming, pc or console an increase in your speed does not translate into better ping times. For most gaming with voice chat a 1mbit connection is more than adequate. You need to download pingplotter (google it) and find out your path to determine where the spikes and packet loss are. If it is within explornets network you may have a valid argument and ask if they can re-route your hops to other towers in your area (if possible). If your round trip ping is more than 90-100ms your gaming experience online will suffer.
I should note that I am well aware that speeds =/= better ping. Our ping is usually from 40-65ms. It's not good or bad. Quite useable. However, we needed more connection speed because we have multiple people using the Internet. And, on a 1.5Mbps plan, if somebody loaded YouTube videos or Twitter, gaming was absolutely impossible. Xplornet said that the 5Mbps was all we could get out here. Sometimes I see 7.5, though. Oddly enough, 5Mbps is great. We rarely lag, and our pings are usually fine. However, any listen server games (lobbies hosted by players, and not dedicated servers) like Black Ops 2 are usually unplayable. We get put into the bottom of the barrel lobbies that you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy.

It's like they took the only good thing that the 1.5Mbps plan had, and shat all over it and just said "Well, at least you aren't lagging now! Although, you'll never get into a good lobby again. GGs, bro. GGs." It's just annoying. We can't even go back to our old plan because they no longer provide it. Now we're stuck with this disgusting "4G" crap that is useless for anything but streaming and surfing the web. We had three techs tell us to upgrade (people who came out to fix our old service when it was being awful). Then we had two or three tech support people tell us to get a static IP because our online gaming experience was lackluster. We got the static IP and now they're saying "Oh, we can't guarantee that it will make your online gaming experience better. We just urge our customers to get it." In other words "This probably won't help, but on the off chance that it does, give us an extra 120 dollars a year. While you're at it, bend over."