XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Xplornet 4G Wireless Tower Forum (Alvarion equipment) * (newer network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2014, 05:47 PM
Linux Member

Default Back online (Oct 17/18 outage)

Well, so much for fixed wireless giving increased reliability.

Yesterday (Fri. Oct 17) we returned from an errand at about 2:30 pm, only to find that our Internet service was down. Reboot router, power-cycle modem, the usual - no improvement. What was interesting was that a traceroute showed packets being received as far as our local tower, but no farther (confirming that our equipment was working ok). Interesting #2: I tried to call Xplornet customer service, and after the initial recorded message got a busy signal. Obviously they were swamped with calls.

A few hours later service was restored. Then it went out again, and this time I couldn't see the local tower. Reboot router, power-cycle modem, no help. Tried to call again, again got the busy signal. Eventually it came back.

Woke up this morning (Sat. Oct 18) to find service down again. Traceroute couldn't see the local tower. At 7:15 am I was early enough to get through to customer service, though there was a 20-minute wait for a rep. I was told that all of Ontario and Quebec were without fixed-wireless server due to a tower failure -- on their backbone, I suppose, though I'm astonished that such a large area can be blacked out by a single-point failure. "24 to 48 hours" to fix it was the official story; the rep admitted that he hadn't been given an estimated time. A while later we got a robo-call from Xplornet telling us that our service was down.

After a few hours we decided to go out for lunch and to do weekly shopping. When we got back (roughly 3:30 pm) our service was back up. There was a robo-call on our answering machine telling us that service had been restored.

It seems to be ok now. But that's no service for much of a 24 hour period.

We no longer have a dial-up account as a backup. There are enough businesses in our area offering free wi-fi, that our backup plan now is to go out with our netbook if we desperately need to send an email or access a web site.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:54 PM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

Is Xplornet still routing all eastern Canada tower traffic through New Brunswick?

So either they pushed out a bad firmware update to the main servers and it cascaded in failure, similar to the Telesat Anik F2 update failure a couple of year ago,
or they weren't able to update their anti-virus and caught a wee bug because its not a priority during the day and they should of done it during the 2am to 7am free time.

I see their Facebook page is mention having to instead stagger modem/towers coming back online, after the initial heavy restart. Nothing worse than nailing the system with tens of thousands connections at once. Some mentions too of temporary reduced bandwidth until everything is back to the usual.

Let me add from Xplornets Facebook page:
At around 6 AM EST, we experienced another outage with the same gateway as yesterday during the maintenance period.
We're working to get services back up and running as quickly as possible this morning - our sincerest apologies for these continued outages.

Last edited by buttitchi : 10-18-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttitchi View Post
Is Xplornet still routing all eastern Canada tower traffic through New Brunswick?

So either they pushed out a bad firmware update to the main servers and it cascaded in failure, similar to the Telesat Anik F2 update failure a couple of year ago,
or they weren't able to update their anti-virus and caught a wee bug because its not a priority during the day and they should of done it during the 2am to 7am free time.

I see their Facebook page is mention having to instead stagger modem/towers coming back online, after the initial heavy restart. Nothing worse than nailing the system with tens of thousands connections at once. Some mentions too of temporary reduced bandwidth until everything is back to the usual.

Let me add from Xplornets Facebook page:
At around 6 AM EST, we experienced another outage with the same gateway as yesterday during the maintenance period.
We're working to get services back up and running as quickly as possible this morning - our sincerest apologies for these continued outages.
Pings are terrible since outage, 200 - 300ms. They must be re-routing traffic on the east coast. Hope they get this fixed soon.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:25 AM
Linux Member

I didn't think to check it when it came back online yesterday. Now, in the wee morning hours, I'm getting my usual results for speed, with perhaps a wider-than-usual spread in ping times:

:::.. Internet Speed Test Result Details ..:::
Download Connection Speed:: 5104 Kbps or 5.1 Mbps
Download Speed Test Size:: 6 MB or 6144 kB or 6291456 bytes
Download Binary File Transfer Speed:: 638 kB/s
Upload Connection Speed:: 927 Kbps or 0.9 Mbps
Upload Speed Test Size:: 864 kB or 884736 bytes
Upload Binary File Transfer Speed:: 116 kB/s
Timed:: Download: 9.861 seconds | Upload: 7.636 seconds
Tested At:: http://TestMy.net Version 14
Test Time:: 2014-10-19 05:21:49 Local Time
User Agent:: Opera/9.80 (X11; Linux i686) Presto/2.12.388 Version/12.16 [!]

--- google.ca ping statistics ---
30 packets transmitted, 30 received, 0% packet loss, time 29036ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 55.384/75.406/122.413/9.732 ms
Old 10-19-2014, 06:12 PM
Linux Member

A bit slower this evening (6 pm). Pings are pretty bad, too:

Download Connection Speed:: 2750 Kbps or 2.8 Mbps
Download Speed Test Size:: 4.9 MB or 5056 kB or 5177344 bytes
Download Binary File Transfer Speed:: 344 kB/s
Upload Connection Speed:: 879 Kbps or 0.9 Mbps
Upload Speed Test Size:: 704 kB or 720896 bytes
Upload Binary File Transfer Speed:: 110 kB/s
Timed:: Download: 15.064 seconds | Upload: 6.56 seconds
Test Time:: 2014-10-19 18:09:42 Local Time

30 packets transmitted, 30 received, 0% packet loss, time 29004ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 148.407/171.297/221.336/11.745 ms
Old 10-26-2014, 01:22 PM

Soo should I call xplornet? I'm suppose to have 10mbps/1mbps

Download Connection Speed:: 2112 Kbps or 2.1 Mbps
Download Speed Test Size:: 4.2 MB or 4288 kB or 4390912 bytes
Download Binary File Transfer Speed:: 264 kB/s
Upload Connection Speed:: 292 Kbps or 0.3 Mbps
Upload Speed Test Size:: 864 kB or 884736 bytes
Upload Binary File Transfer Speed:: 37 kB/s
Timed:: Download: 16.634 seconds | Upload: 24.207 seconds
Test Time:: 2014-10-26 13:21:14 Local Time
Validation:: http://testmy.net/db/7bHKMvf.heFzJpA
TiP Measurement Summary (Download):: Min 0.91 Mbps | Middle Avg 2.21 Mbps | Max 2.85 Mbps | 32% Variance
TiP Data Points:: 2.5 Mbps, 2.66 Mbps, 2.81 Mbps, 2.85 Mbps, 2.37 Mbps, 1.91 Mbps, 1.85 Mbps, 2.22 Mbps, 2.2 Mbps, 1.8 Mbps, 1.9 Mbps, 2.29 Mbps, 2.01 Mbps, 1.66 Mbps, 2.5 Mbps, 2.29 Mbps, 2.27 Mbps, 1.94 Mbps, 0.91 Mbps
Old 10-26-2014, 01:52 PM
Linux Member

Well, the first thing to do is find out if it's an equipment problem, or network congestion.

You need a day when it's not raining or snowing, and you need to test during off-peak hours. First thing in the morning when you get up is a pretty good time. Of course, if you have a home router, make sure you're the only one using the Internet at the time you test. Then run a speed test. Under those conditions you should see close to your plan speed. (If you're on the Xtreme10 plan, that would be 10 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up.)

If you get lousy speeds even then, it could be an equipment problem, and it's time to call Xplornet. They're probably going to make you power-cycle your Xplornet modem and your home router and repeat the test, so you might as well do that before calling them. It could be a problem with your equipment, or it could be a problem with their tower (a.k.a. access point). They should be able to tell you if the tower has issues.

If you get good speeds during "ideal" conditions, and poor speeds later in the day when more people are using it, then it's probably network congestion. Xplornet sells way more total bandwidth on any given tower, than they actually provide to that tower. They figure that most of the time most of the users will be idle, so there's no point "overprovisioning" the tower. (Of course, that logic fails utterly when everyone is streaming NetFlix at the same time, such as after work.) In this case you can call Xplornet and complain about your speeds, but they're not going to do much about it. It's still worth calling them, though, because sometimes there is a problem downstream -- e.g. at their Network Operations Center -- that they can fix. (I encountered this a few times when I was on satellite.)

Do post your speed tests here; it's a useful record, and it can help others.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:55 PM
Linux Member

FYI, here's what I'm getting this Sunday afternoon -- fairly normal for my 5 Mbps plan:

Download Connection Speed:: 4705 Kbps or 4.7 Mbps
Download Speed Test Size:: 5.5 MB or 5632 kB or 5767168 bytes
Download Binary File Transfer Speed:: 588 kB/s
Upload Connection Speed:: 925 Kbps or 0.9 Mbps
Upload Speed Test Size:: 832 kB or 851968 bytes
Upload Binary File Transfer Speed:: 116 kB/s
Timed:: Download: 9.807 seconds | Upload: 7.371 seconds
Test Time:: 2014-10-26 13:53:33 Local Time
Client Location:: CA http://testmy.net/country/ca
Target:: Dallas, TX US http://dallas.testmy.net

30 packets transmitted, 30 received, 0% packet loss, time 29013ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 70.105/79.132/106.638/6.639 ms
Old 10-27-2014, 06:38 PM

This caused a substantial outage for some this weekend:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...rash-1.2813071
Unfortunately, the lad took out a power pole that was hooked into the main feed which includes Xplornet HQ. He also died on scene.

Power was up and down in that area all weekend due to urgent repairs on the power lines. I myself was inconvenienced, but in the circumstances, not much can be done really.

The week before was equipment failure.... wonder what this weekend will be...

Last edited by dotslash : 10-27-2014 at 06:50 PM.