XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Generic question forum (don't know where to post?)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2014, 05:46 PM

Default Any Other satellite isp other then xplornet ?

Wow, I joined this forum in 2008, now 2014 6 years later and still no real viable options for internet service, we have been using a rogers rocket hub (really just a cell phone in a plastic case) and it's expensive, and we are worried they are going to jack up prices even higher,

Just crazy, I absolutely flat out refuse to use xplornet, I hate this company, even after getting off the phone with one of their sales reps today has my blood pressure up higher then normal.

I ask the experts, is their any other satellite isp other then xplornet out there for Ontario ???
Old 10-17-2014, 06:13 PM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

Xplornet had a major wireless outage today(southern Ontario- up to Ottawa), and the calls took out their phone system as well.

Others companies still around,
but stuck using the old Telesat Anik F2(spaceway3 might be available to use) because Xplornet locked out all others from the new satellites(and the early 2017 satellites). The KU's have mostly gone away, due to the cost for Hughesnet to lease the transponders. Read a while back that Hughesnet in the U.S. was no longer provisioning KU hardware(including replacement modems) on home users.
Business KU probably available in KU if needed.
http://www.galaxybroadband.ca/
SkyWay service plans, input postal code for service prices. you'd have to ask them what satellites they are using, as their site doesn't seem to show.

ComSat. Selling KU band. I think they cater more to business and mobile satellite. But still same old leased satellites.
http://www.c-comsat.com/residential-internet-plans.html

Depending on how many users have been bled off the Anik F2 to the new satellites, service may be better........ The extra capacity was bled off to allow for some more throughput to Canada's north. Still plenty of wildlbue users on it.

Last edited by buttitchi : 10-17-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:05 AM

thanks for the info,

I have to have some sort of plan in place with an alternative isp, we are starting to really worry about rogers and " what if " as we can barely afford service now.

It's truly amazing how these monopoly companies in Canada are operating, quite disgraceful of the government, to have let this go as far as it has, and I don't see any help anytime soon.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:35 PM

Default Xplornet Experiences

I likewise suffered through today's total outage in Eastern Ontario. I live in a rural location so there are no other options where I live; not even Storm if they still exist. Since I use Vonage VoIP, when Xplornet is down, I have few options. Although I use Rogers for my cellular phone, I refuse to activate their data plan and even when I did own their Rocket, it refused to work, even with a Wilson signal booster, that I needed just to get Rogers service.

When service was finally restored today, at about 1/10th of the speed I pay for, I came upon this web site, as I was awaiting the Xplornet technical support.

After my serious rant, the technician did admit they have experienced problems throughout this week. He realized I was paying extra for the 100GB monthly bandwidth that is now included in their Extreme5 data plan, so he saved me $20 per month. He booked a no charge service call to examine my transmitter and recommended an upgrade from the 4G "radio" to LTE.

It does pay to be persistent and hope you do get a knowledgeable technician and one who senses our frustration and is willing to provide the service we have grown to expect.

Good luck in the future ..... Cam
Old 10-18-2014, 05:54 PM
Linux Member

Yeah, we suffered through the outage too. When I got through on the phone this morning, I was told that all of Ontario and Quebec were affected. I've posted my notes in the 4G Fixed Wireless category.

I am one who dropped Rogers and switched back to Xplornet. I related the story here ("Goodbye, Rogers"). I got grossly overbilled, and had to fight like hell to get them to reverse it. Rogers' customer service is awful. Xplornet is lots better.

And many years ago I was a customer of Galaxy Broadband. I think my first post here was when I wanted to drop Galaxy and switch to Xplornet, and I wanted to check out Xplornet. I've had my issues with Xplornet, but I'll take them over Galaxy Broadband any day. (I think that story, too, is posted here somewhere. In fairness, Galaxy Broadband was just a reseller for Hughes, and Hughes was the source of my problems.)

As the saying goes, your mileage may vary.

Edited to add:
my post about leaving Galaxy Broadband: http://www.xplornetsucks.com/forumss...read.php?t=725
my thread about leaving Rogers: http://www.xplornetsucks.com/forumss...ead.php?t=1494

Last edited by Brad R : 10-18-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:12 PM

Default Stick With The Devil You Know

I moved from Orléans 12 years ago where I had Rogers wired service. I did try the Bell tunnelled higher speed (than dialup) but was very disappointed. I signed up with Cornwall's RiverLink wireless 8 or 9 years ago, who were bought out by Xplornet. RiverLink employees still provide my service. I've stayed with Rogers for my cellular service because they are more or less identical to Telus and Bell service in my area. My Roger's small business service suites me well and I can use a Galaxy Core LTE without a data plan.

My experience with wireless Internet has been that every 2 years, there's a new technological option available, yet Xplornet never tells this to you until you complain - strange eh? I gather the replacement "radio" will be LTE ready, whenever that arrives and hopefully will be a dramatic improvement over my current service.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:48 PM
Linux Member

Update: Sorry, this was the thread I started back in '07 when I wanted to jump from Galaxy/Hughesnet to Xplornet. http://www.xplornetsucks.com/forumss...read.php?t=652