XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Generic question forum (don't know where to post?)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2014, 12:49 PM

Default Help needed with No-IP or DynDNS setup on NVR

Hey all,

New to this, and I thank everyone in advance!

I'm trying to access an NVR (Network Video Recorder) remotely/off-site

I've ran into a slight problem - I am unable to successfully use No-IP and DynDNS through Xplornet. I can remote in with logmein to a comp, but I have troubles using the other two programs. From what I understand, Port-Forwarding is useless with Xplornet, even with a static IP that they provide.

If there's any suggestions, please let me know. Thank you.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:52 PM
Linux Member

Hi, it would help if you told us which Xplornet service you are using. 4G fixed wireless? 4G satellite? (Which satellite?) Older system? Do you have a router? Which model?

I don't know much about the logmein product, but at a quick glance, it looks like it runs a program on your computer that makes an outbound connection to their server. That will normally work through a NAT (Network Address Translation) router, such as Xplornet uses on their access points.

However, DynDNS -- and I presume No-IP -- requires you to be able to accept inbound connections. That requires a static IP from Xplornet. (It's not that you need a static IP to accept inbound connections, but you need it in order to bypass Xplornet's NAT.) It also requires that you configure your router properly, and possibly the firewall on your PC.

With a static IP, port forwarding should work.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:49 PM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

Far as I know, LogMeIn will remain connected(sleep mode) by HTTPS to the LogMeIn server and will facilitate the connection when requested at LogMeIn from another system. This allows to bypass NAT type IP address by something like a tunnel connection.
HTTPS may be slow depending on what the lag or speed of the connection is. Timing out may be a concern if the upload speed from the remote is too slow.

A static IP on Xplornet 'wireless' should give it Non-NAT access to the outside world. As long as there is no port/protocol blocking to impede the connection. At one point they gave a 24 hour free trial of a static IP on wireless.

The Satellites(Telesat/Viasat , Hughesnet) will require a business account to get a static IP address. Provided that Xplornet sells those static IP packages, since it requires a bit more ooomph on the satellite system routing.

Don't forget that you can choose any port number(usually above 1024 to avoid those reserved ports) to do the remote connection.

Last edited by buttitchi : 10-14-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad R View Post
Hi, it would help if you told us which Xplornet service you are using. 4G fixed wireless? 4G satellite? (Which satellite?) Older system? Do you have a router? Which model?

I don't know much about the logmein product, but at a quick glance, it looks like it runs a program on your computer that makes an outbound connection to their server. That will normally work through a NAT (Network Address Translation) router, such as Xplornet uses on their access points.

However, DynDNS -- and I presume No-IP -- requires you to be able to accept inbound connections. That requires a static IP from Xplornet. (It's not that you need a static IP to accept inbound connections, but you need it in order to bypass Xplornet's NAT.) It also requires that you configure your router properly, and possibly the firewall on your PC.

With a static IP, port forwarding should work.

It's on 4G Sat (Jupiter) tested on a TP-Link Model: TL-WDR4300
I guess they did not assign a static IP as they "do not have the technology"

Running through a Win7 PC on the same network as NVR system. I have inquired about a static IP, which they cannot give. So all in all, it won't work without the Static IP - From my understanding it was set up as static, but recently discovered that it was not obtainable in the given location.

My apologies for the lack of information in my question - Thank you
Old 10-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Linux Member

Drat. Five weeks ago I was still on the Jupiter satellite service; I could have run some tests.

I seem to recall that you can't get static IP on the Jupiter service. However, I don't know if Jupiter uses NAT the way that Xplornet's fixed wireless service does. It's possible that you are assigned a true (routable) network IP address when you connect to the satellite. It's also possible that, regardless of that, Xplornet blocks inbound connections.

I don't know the TP-Link router, but here is something to check: go into the administration page for the router, and try to find the "WAN IP" address. It will be four numbers, something like 192.168.123.45. If the address starts with 10. or 172. or 192.168., that is almost certainly a "private" IP address and means you're behind a NAT, and you're out of luck. (Note, some of the 172. addresses are public.)

Now, if you don't have a private IP address, go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ and see what it reports as your IP address. If it's the same as the WAN IP address reported by your router, that means that your router is visible on the Internet.

One thing I can't recall (dammit!) is whether the Hughesnet modem does any network address translation. I know it provides a DNS cache. I vaguely recall that it provides a proxy server, in which case it and not your router will have the public IP address. And in that case you're out of luck.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttitchi View Post
Far as I know, LogMeIn will remain connected(sleep mode) by HTTPS to the LogMeIn server and will facilitate the connection when requested at LogMeIn from another system. This allows to bypass NAT type IP address by something like a tunnel connection.
HTTPS may be slow depending on what the lag or speed of the connection is. Timing out may be a concern if the upload speed from the remote is too slow.

A static IP on Xplornet 'wireless' should give it Non-NAT access to the outside world. As long as there is no port/protocol blocking to impede the connection. At one point they gave a 24 hour free trial of a static IP on wireless.

The Satellites(Telesat/Viasat , Hughesnet) will require a business account to get a static IP address. Provided that Xplornet sells those static IP packages, since it requires a bit more ooomph on the satellite system routing.

Don't forget that you can choose any port number(usually above 1024 to avoid those reserved ports) to do the remote connection.

Thank you for clarifying. I understand a bit more of this stuff ! haha
Never dealt with xplornet previously, their tech support offer little assistance, and refer you to look at their an outdated FAQ for an answer.