XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Generic question forum (don't know where to post?)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2014, 11:51 PM

Default Xplornet 4g Satellite (August 2014)

Hey there,

Wasn't sure where to post this as Xplornet's customer service has been less than helpful, even their technical support. I live rurally between Rosetown, SK and Saskatoon SK. Our only choices for internet are dial up, Xplornet 4g Satellite (not fixed wireless) or Telus 4g Smart Hub (which I currently have, however it is 10 gigs per month for $100.00 and I always end up going over and at $20.00 per gig it gets expensive fast).

I do a lot of online gaming (mostly World of Warcraft, Diablo, Minecraft, LoL etc). Currently with the Telus Smart Hub I get a ping on a bad night of about 350ms which in WoW is noticeable and becomes unplayable above 500ms on heroic progression. NO one from Xplornet could tell me what my lag will be like in ms.

What are your guys' opinions on Xplornet for online MMO's? WOuld it even be suitable to have to use for a "back up" for when there are large patches/to netflix on in addition to my Smart Hub through Telus?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
-Peach aka Michelle.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:46 AM
Linux Member

Hi Peaches, I'm not a gamer, but I know that gaming is nearly impossible on any satellite Internet service. Under the best of conditions, you are going to have a minimum ping time of more than 600 ms. That's just a fact of life, caused by the time it takes the signal to travel up to the satellite and back down. I'm on Xplornet's 4g satellite, and when things are quiet I see pings of about 650 ms. When things are bad I've seen pings up to 1000 ms.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:16 PM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

To use as a backup for downloading of those awesome 20GB patches, You'd have to find out what Xplornet's daytime throttle policy is.
http://www.xplornet.com/traffic-management/
Then peruse it and determine whether parts of it are bullshit depending on real world experience.

Xplornet's priority is for regular web surfing, email and the rest be damned.

On satellite ISP's the 2am to 7am window is usually unthrottled, meaning that patches won't be subject to basically dialup to download. Something to 100% confirm, per specific satellite, with technical sales.

With WOW, the updates come 2 ways. P2P(1+GB upload for your 20GB download) and the direct from WOW server(no uploads). Those big patches it can be easier to lug your computer to someone who has high speed internet(no caps, no throttles).

Netflix, providing you use a low stream rate, is doable but can be subject to primetime throttle/buffering. If the satellite has plenty of data capacity but not the ground stations, much pain happens.

Just because you are subscribed to 10Mbps doesn't always mean that your speed may be anywhere near it.
DSLreports satellite pages
https://secure.dslreports.com/forums/56
Xplornet's throttle policies are slightly different, but same satellites(Hughesnet, Viasat/telesat, Telesat)

This is xplornets Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/Xplornet
To the left and down is the 'posts to page'. The main users posting there look to be wireless tower users. Many things from screwed up billing, 30-60 days at subscribed speed then shitty speeds. Complaints about the satellite upload/download dish being in the rainy Maritimes resulting in bad speeds at every storm there for multiple Provinces.

Last edited by buttitchi : 08-08-2014 at 06:35 PM.