XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Generic question forum (don't know where to post?)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2015, 12:51 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for your suggestions. My router doesn't support Tomato, but it looks like a good option.

I finally determined the problem (I think).

My kids were watching Netflix on my Playstation this morning and I pressed the Select button to see the streaming quality. I was amazed to see it say "1080." I triple-checked my quality settings in Netflix and, sure enough, it was set to Low.

I called Netflix to complain that they were sending me a 1080 stream even though my quality settings were set to Low. They confirmed the Low settings, but then eventually told me that the Kids profile has its own quality setting, and the only way to access it is to switch the kids profile to an adult profile and then access the settings menu. I did that, and the setting was indeed set to Auto. As I have LTE, which is fast enough to handle an HD stream (but not enough data per month to make it a habit), the Auto setting was sending my kids an HD stream since my switch to LTE (to the tune of about 2 GB per hour). Once I switched this setting to Low, I had to switch the profile back to the Kids version, which hides the settings menu.

I told Netflix that it's a bit ridiculous that this setting is hidden like this - why would I want to watch Netflix in Low while the kids got full HD for their cartoons? They agreed and have opened a feature request to set the Kids quality setting from the Parents setting (or at least provide a link to it, or a note).

Good to know, eh? I will monitor my usage for the next 24 hours to see if the problem is resolved. I'm sharing here so others can learn from this.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:12 PM

For those who might be interested, I'm testing a new Netgear Nighthawk R7000 wireless router. It has the option to monitor the WAN traffic (both ways if need be). Not only monitor, but alert and block if you exceed the cap.

So far I'm pretty impressed with its performance. For those who have IP phones (for me it's MagicJack) the QOS feature seems to really work well. No dropped/garbled conversations so far.

I'll post my results/opinions once I've gone through a billing cycle.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfedup View Post
Thanks for your helpful replies. I changed my netflix settings several days ago. We have two pc's, one generally in sleep mode with little usage and the other with maybe five, ten hours usage a month. I'll make sure they are both scanned. My sister and I each have iPads and use them often during the day. I think I'll wait for another month to see if things settle down. If not, then I'll insist xplornet shows me how I'm using so much bandwidth.
There lieth the answer....
I had the same issue, massive spike in usage. Turns out my friend had brought an iPad with him to visit, it was using a ridiculous amount of traffic to and from apple servers. It seemed to be down to iCloud sync, and some small updates, but it absolutely obliterated my usage - upwards of 24Gb of upload traffic, whilst download traffic fluctuated just a few Gb.
Don't forget, these caps aren't just download, they are a combination of traffic in BOTH directions.

Hope this helps.

dotslash