XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Generic question forum (don't know where to post?)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2014, 10:35 PM

Question Bandwidth Usage

I've been with xplornet for years, first wireless and when the service deteriorated went to satellite and then again when that kept getting worse and a new tower went up near to me, back to wireless last June. I signed up for the 10 mbbs service with 30 GB which apparently was increased with a promotion giving me 50 GB. I wasn't sure how much I needed and so the clerk said she checked my previous usage and I didn't come close to needing that much.
Good, the new service was much faster and dependable compared to satellite and then the boom fell. Should have expected it dealing with xplornet all,these years. I got a message the evening of July 22 saying I had used 75 percent of my bandwidth. Then Wednesday morning was advised I had exceeded my bandwidth and would be limited. My husband, sister and I are all retired and don't game on line. Mainly use internet for social media, email and Netflix (maybe 6-7 hours weekly). I checked the usage tracker and since Wednesday am when it was at 51.2 and it is now (July 26) at 54.4 and we haven't used netflix during that period. Our network is secure and besides, we are in the country and someone would have to be in my driveway to access my internet. This is so frustrating. I called and they said I should add more bandwidth... $30more a month to get 100 GB. Can someone tell me if they think I'm actually using all this bandwidth...just seems excessive.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:16 PM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

Scan for any bad programs.
MalwareBytes. Free version. Update the definitions after install. It runs on your demand.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Your Netflix account will have a section to change your data rate from auto to other.
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

From Xplornet Facebook page:
We do have the ability to run a report to get a more detailed breakdown of when the data was used, to help you determine which activities had drawn so much of the monthly allowance.

They say they can provide a detailed usage chart of the times data was used(like your cellphone company has).
In that you would look for usage spikes at times that you were not home and computers/router were fully powered off. Or when you know nothing was on(sleep mode).
They can't provide you with what program/protocol was using that data, but Sandvine(Deep packet inspection) can see it for throttle purposes.

In that usage chart if it shows usage when it was not you, hopefully Xplornet can also look at their own logs to see if their system kept communicating with your subscriber module(SM) more than usual. That is known as overhead. Any usage counter that counts overhead will show random usage when you are not even plugged into their system at your home.
At the extreme worst, the data tracker may of counted someone else's usage as being you.

Xplornet will also feed the bogus line of "oh the usage counter is 4 hours behind. So thats why you got throttled just after the 75% email". 75% of 50GB is 37.5GB . If the 75% email was delayed by a few days, you are screwed for cutting back usage to avoid the throttle.

ISP data counters are not regulated by any government agency, so they don't care if it is accurate. They will just have the usage exceeded throttle come on, or look for a handout of money from the user for a few extra GB's.

Last edited by buttitchi : 07-26-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:28 AM
Linux Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfedup View Post
Mainly use internet for social media, email and Netflix (maybe 6-7 hours weekly).
That's what's killing you. Netflix says "Watching Netflix uses about 1 GB of data per hour for each stream of standard definition video, and up to 3 GB per hour for each stream of HD video". So in the best case, you're using 6-7 GB a week just for videos.

As buttitchi says, you need to switch your Netflix data usage setting from "auto" to either "medium" or "low". And when you get that 75% warning, stop watching Netflix immediately.

For reference: my wife and I use the Internet only for email and web browsing. No video (except the occasional very short -- less than 10 minutes -- YouTube), no music, no gaming, no social networking. And with just that, we use something like 200 MB a day -- 6 GB a month. (Possibly even more these days; web pages are getting fatter all the time.) With the three of you doing minimal activity, you might be using 300 MB a day -- call it 1 GB every three days.

It would be nice if anyone provided a decent tool to give you a "live" display of how much bandwidth you have remaining, but no one does. (Xplornet's usage meter is pathetic.) There's software to do this for a single PC, but if you have multiple PCs on the network that complicates things.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:44 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for your helpful replies. I changed my netflix settings several days ago. We have two pc's, one generally in sleep mode with little usage and the other with maybe five, ten hours usage a month. I'll make sure they are both scanned. My sister and I each have iPads and use them often during the day. I think I'll wait for another month to see if things settle down. If not, then I'll insist xplornet shows me how I'm using so much bandwidth.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:35 PM

Unhappy Me Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfedup View Post
I've been with xplornet for years, first wireless and when the service deteriorated went to satellite and then again when that kept getting worse and a new tower went up near to me, back to wireless last June. I signed up for the 10 mbbs service with 30 GB which apparently was increased with a promotion giving me 50 GB. I wasn't sure how much I needed and so the clerk said she checked my previous usage and I didn't come close to needing that much.
Good, the new service was much faster and dependable compared to satellite and then the boom fell. Should have expected it dealing with xplornet all,these years. I got a message the evening of July 22 saying I had used 75 percent of my bandwidth. Then Wednesday morning was advised I had exceeded my bandwidth and would be limited. My husband, sister and I are all retired and don't game on line. Mainly use internet for social media, email and Netflix (maybe 6-7 hours weekly). I checked the usage tracker and since Wednesday am when it was at 51.2 and it is now (July 26) at 54.4 and we haven't used netflix during that period. Our network is secure and besides, we are in the country and someone would have to be in my driveway to access my internet. This is so frustrating. I called and they said I should add more bandwidth... $30more a month to get 100 GB. Can someone tell me if they think I'm actually using all this bandwidth...just seems excessive.
Have you had any resolution? I have the exact same problem Xplornet has said that I am constantly uploading and downloading 24/7. that I must have a virus I had my computer checked twice. Last night I shut off and put my computer in airplane mode I cant foresee what could be causing this. It has to be their system though of course they are denying it and it appears there is no one else to go with in this area it is 4 days into this month at 16 gb of imaginary usage so far I only own 1 computer
Old 01-07-2015, 04:42 PM
Linux Member

Do you have a wireless router? It's possible that someone else is using your bandwidth.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:32 PM

Default PS4 to blame?

I would also like to know if this issue was resolved. I am currently trying to trace unexplained usage on my LTE package.

I was on the Jupiter satellite package until October. I never went over the 50 GB cap.

In November, I switched to the new LTE network. My usage did go up, but I still didn't hit the cap.

However, since Christmas, Xplornet tells me that I have been regularly downloading an average of 5 GB per day. I got dinged for 20 GB of extra usage in December. So far in January, it says I have used 26 GB over seven days. I wasn't even home for three days this month. Xplornet said I used almost 10 GB on New Year's Day alone.

I have complained to Xplornet a few times this month about the usage problems. The first rep said he couldn't help me because they are not allowed to inspect my traffic due to privacy concerns - he could only tell me hour-by-hour usage. The second rep referred the case to Network Ops and said they would monitor my usage for 24 hours and could trace what is eating up so much data. So much for the privacy concerns.

As a consumer, do I have any better way of monitoring my traffic? I know I can do this on a single computer, but I am wondering if my new PS4 is to blame. The usage problems started once it was turned on. There is a setting to automatically download "Featured Content" from the Playstation Network, but I'm not sure if that would be responsible for 5 GB per day. Even still, I turned it off yesterday afternoon and Xplornet claims I downloaded 2 GB in one hour last night - after this setting was turned off. Stranger still, during the days that I was away, the usage was minimal (the first rep said it was due to normal ack msgs, etc.) If my PS4 was downloading "Featured Content," you would think the usage pattern would continue whether I was home or not.

My wi-fi network is locked down (and my property is large enough that my signal doesn't travel that far) and I have scanned the two computers on my network for viruses and malware. I have looked into network monitors such as is available with DD-WRT, but my router doesn't support it. My kids do watch Netflix, but my streaming setting is set to Low and my kids don't watch it any more than they did when I was on satellite. In other words, my regular usage patterns haven't changed. I haven't used BitTorrent.

Is there anything else I can do? I feel helpless to counter this problem, and Xplornet is all too happy to bill me for extra usage.

Thanks for your input. This is a great forum.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:34 PM
Linux Member

I wonder if this is a problem with the LTE service? I was curious to see if we are having a similar problem, so I just logged into the usage tracker and I see that, 27 days into the billing period, we are at 9.78 GB. Which is probably about right. In the satellite days we would typically use 6-7 GB per month, but with our new service we have been a bit more lavish in our usage.

Offhand I don't know of a router that tracks total usage. We have DD-WRT on our router, and though it will report instantaneous bandwidth (MB/sec), it does not keep a running total. (It's an old version of DD-WRT; perhaps I need to update.) Our computers do each keep a running total, but it resets when the computer is powered off.

The damnable thing is that so many computers and devices do automatic updates. I'd say try to isolate the problem. Check your usage, then disconnect everything but one device overnight. Check your usage again in the morning. Repeat for all devices. (Remember that a lot of devices remain active when they are supposedly "switched off". Unplug them from the router. If they're wireless, unplug their power cord.)

Oh, and keep a written log of all your tests and usage reports -- you'll need that when it's time to argue with Xplornet.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:07 PM
Linux Member

I just checked, and current versions of DD-WRT do provide a total bandwidth monitor. I just have a really old version.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:18 AM

I use shibby tomato (http://tomato.groov.pl/) and with this you can get real-time, hourly, daily and monthly breakdowns of bandwidth usage not just in totals but per IP/MAC of each device connecting to your network. Seeing a per/ip breakdown will let you pinpoint if you have a rogue device on your network consuming more bandwidth then it should.