XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Xplornet 4G Wireless Tower Forum (Alvarion equipment) * (newer network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2014, 04:39 PM

Default Down for 9 Days, Need Help!

My service went out 9 days ago (this is the 10th day), and basically what is happening is that we get about 190kbps and very high ping times. At this point it seems stable in this state. I have the SM password and I can look at stats, etc.

I'm looking for help to see what the problem could be as Xplornet told me yesterday that it could take up to three weeks for the Digital City technician to show up.

Background:

Internet went from working well to the 200-kbps state overnight in good weather. I called Xplornet and initially the support sgaent said it could be cabling or we needed to have a technician out. Spent 3 hours on the phone with no success. The agent said that he would "lose" my unit every so often, but other than that it looked good from his end. The agent said that it could be a cabling issue.

Next day I tested the connection from the demarcation box and had the same results. As a precaution I replaced the cheap cable that Digital City originally installed with new wire to completely rule out cabling as a source of problems.

A couple of days later I called back for an update as I hadn't heard from Digital City. Xplornet then said they cancelled the work order and that there were ongoing problems with the tower. They expected that my problems would be resolved once they completed work on a nearby tower.

After a couple more days I called back and they said that "maintenance" was scheduled for that day finishing at 9PM. When pressed they said that if a repair was required they would issue a work order to have that done. 9PM came and went with no change.

The next day I called back and the agent did some troubleshooting again, concluding that a technuician was required. Then he decided to call network operations who told him that there were ongoing issues in my area with RF interference (RFI). he also explained that they thought they knew where the RFI was coming from and they had to contact the other party as likely Xplornet was also causing they problems.

A couple of days after this I called back as there was no change and the agent said that my signal strength was very low, registering a 13 and that I would need a repoint. He decided to re-issue the work order to Digital City.

I climbed a ladder near the Alvarion module and could not visually get line of sight with the tower (which is very close). I pulled out my chainsaw and cut down two trees. I called Xplornet back and my signal strength was 37, apparently very, very good.

The internet speed is still locked at 200kbps, but the is a very large number called "BE Bytes" and the speed reported on the SM is consistent with any speedtest on the local network or host. Ping times on the SM are also bad, even to Xplornet IP's like their default gateway.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 07-12-2014, 05:59 PM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

BE Bytes: Total number of bytes sent on Best Effort data packets

I don't know what your unit is called, so general information.
http://www.alvarion.com/addons/campa...ion_120711.pdf

Seems like Xplornet gave you every excuse in the book.
How about call them and have them redo your connection profile. This would rebuild your entire connection profile, so that if there is a software error it would be erased/reset.
Secondary, it would ensure that any misbehaving Throttle is also reset.

You could power it down for a few hours and see if any change.

I do not know if the SM has a 'scan the area for AP's' in it. For interference trouble shooting.

Create a quick tinfoil hood/dish to create a focused beam to the tower. Beam-forming. Try to greatly reduce interference from another access point or rogue wireless.
A couple of examples that are used for a router antenna.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXjvy9m519I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOBfxbpxosA#t=51

Last edited by buttitchi : 07-12-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:55 PM

Good suggestions... I've had them reprovision the unit. Some techs wouldn't do it... the reason I actually did it was that I thought my account had some kind of limit applied. I don't know what they did at the other end... whether they completely redid the account or not. With these Xplornet support agents you often don't get a straight answer--I find them slippery.

The Alvarion 6000 module has a rescan option... tried it a number of times.

I may shut it down all night to see what happens. I've never shut it down more than a few minutes, so that's worth a shot.

See the attached files for details from the SM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xplor1-july12.jpg (17.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg xplor2-july12.jpg (21.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg xplor3-july12.jpg (25.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg xplor4-july12.jpg (28.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-12-2014, 08:01 PM

Oh and here is a graph of my internet speed from my router).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xplor5-july12.jpg (20.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-24-2014, 04:23 PM

Well they finally repaired my service after two weeks and everything is normal now.

Funny story though. The installer came out and I explained the situation and I showed him the trees I cut down. He laughed and said that was a waste of time because I was so close to the tower that the trees wouldn't make a difference under any circumstance (not an issue because I cut down the trees.)

He plugs in from his truck and told me all the numbers looked great and that the radio was working fine, so the problem was something else. I suggested that he do a speed test. He did and within seconds he decided to change the radio (the subscriber module). Once he did that it worked fine. 5 minute repair.

He pointed the unit down at the ground instead of horizontally away from the tower (supposedly if the signal is too strong its a problem).

It's amazing how Xplornet tried to blame anything and everything else rather than send a technician... obviously it costs them money for a third party tech to troubleshoot, but it bloody ridiculous. They could have had it fixed within a few days, but instead they strung me along for two weeks. And fed me bullcrap along the way (RFI problems, low signal strength, cabling issues, tower problems, etc.) All bullcrap by a company that makes customers run fool's errands in hopes that they go away.

Oh i I wish I could get wired internet of any kind. Xplornet sucks.