XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Generic question forum (don't know where to post?)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2013, 11:54 AM

Default Guide to surviving Xplornet, from a former Xplornet employee

So, I had a really bad experience working for this company. Not only are the operations managers complete bitches (at least mine was), they love to screw over their customers. If you unfortunate enough to have Xplornet as your only ISP, here are some tips to help you survive.

Admins, I suggest making this post a sticky.

Bill Payments
Always, always, always, always, and I can not stress this enough, pay with a credit card. Why? First, you do not have to worry about NSF charges n your bank account when Xplornet decides to take 6 months of payments out at the same time without telling you for services unpaid because they messed up. Also, if you are out of service for an extended period of time, and they still feel like charging you, you can get the credit card company involved. This will also give you a bit more power over them.

Fixed wireless outside units
Unless you can see the tower, insist the installer installs the OSU on the peak of your house. If you have a TV antenna that's higher then your house, use that instead. Also, if you have a pole on your roof and you are upgrading to Wimax, or whatever platform, insist it be used. Get the OSU as high as possible. Sometime the installers get lazy, but keep them in line

Switching from one type of platform to another
A lot of people don't know this, and installers like to not do it, but when you switch from one type of satellite to another or from one type of fixed wireless platform to another, you are suppose to have the external wires replaced as well. Now, if your install is still relatively new, this probably can be skipped, but if your install is 2 plus years old, make them replace the wires to the outside unit. This is actually Xplornet policy, but many installers cheap out. This is important, more so with fixed wireless. Ethernet is not rated for outside use, and Canadian weather is hard on anything electronic. If they refuse, make them call Xplornet's dealer support line, they will actually straighten the dealer out, or should.

Quebec Customers
I think a lot of you guys will know this anyways, but early cancellation fees in Quebec is only $50

Not much help, but hopefully this makes your exploitation by xplornet a little less painful
Old 11-14-2013, 03:28 PM
Linux Member

Thanks for that; it's useful advice.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:09 PM

Your Welcome

Another thing I forgot to add is that before switching to another platform, call Xplornet and ask them to check what exactly is available to you. Dealers get paid more if they upgrade someone to HTS or Jupiter then Wimax, so some will tend to be more inclined to switch you to HTS or Jupiter, when if you can get Wimax. Of course, this does depend on weather or not your house is in a hole or something like that
Old 11-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Linux Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthdragon View Post
Dealers get paid more if they upgrade someone to HTS or Jupiter then Wimax,
Now that is very interesting. In my case, I had already established that I don't get Wimax. (Xplornet discontinued my Everus wireless service, and when the installer came out to change it over to Wimax, he discovered that Wimax doesn't reach my house.) But that may explain why they wanted to switch me to Jupiter rather than reactivate my old Kazam dish.

Not that I'm complaining about that; the Jupiter service is faster (overnight) and has a higher effective cap, and costs less, than the Kazam plan. (Still horribly slow in the evenings, though.)
Old 11-15-2013, 09:31 PM

It does depend on how ethical the installer is.

An interesting side note on the old Telesat satellite, I had someone call and cancel their Telesat service because their dial up was faster. Each beam on telesat only has 80Mbps allocated to it... 40Mbps on 2 channels