XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Xplornet 4G Wireless Tower Forum (Alvarion equipment) * (newer network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 11:13 AM

Default Do I need a "fixed IP" for VOIP on 4G?

I currently have the legacy Motorola Canopy Xplornet service. When I signed up they provided me a service behind an unresolvable double-NAT. Basically I have a 192.168 type of private IP address. I had to upgrade to the "fixed-IP" service to make my VOIP work properly.

Now with any other provider (DSL or cable), there is no need for as fixed IP, because the dynamic addresses are routable. The VOIP ata registers the IP address with the server and that's that.

So if I switch to 4G, do I still have to pay the $10 stupid tax to get a fixed IP? Or is the architecture of the WiMax service different enough to accomodate dynamic but routable IP addresses?
Old 11-02-2013, 04:34 PM

WiMax still uses the same scheme for the inter-network (back haul).

Now do you realize the all benefits of a static IP?

a) you can VPN into corporate networks.

b) you can remote into your home PCs/server from anywhere (careful with this as you should know how to add extra security before enabling remote access)

c) you can host your own media server (I know this is against their terms of use but it is nice to show pictures to your friends without using Facebook, etc.)

IMHO the $10.month is fair if you use the static IP to the fullest extent.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:06 PM

yep I'm aware of the benefits of a routable IP. Every other Canadian ISP has this for free with their service. For web hosting I could use a free dynamic dns service...
Old 11-24-2013, 12:49 PM

I, for the next 6 days, am a Xplornet 4G wireless customer. I have used MagicJack and NetTalk on my 4G with no routing issues.