XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Xplornet 4G Wireless Tower Forum (Alvarion equipment) * (newer network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 11:55 AM

Default Xplornet router or modem lost connecion

Hi,

Here is the situation. I'm subsribed to Xplornet 4G Wimax Internet and my router or modem is losing the Internet connection once a day. I need to power cycle the modem. When I use the cable directly between computer and modem, it seem to work, but I don't have tested this way for a long time because the modem is in the basement and who is using a wired connection at home with a single computer!

I've tested 4 type of router, all updated to the newest firmware, and all is doing the same things. D-Link, Netgear, Apple and Asus. The network, wired and wifi, work fine. When the internet connection stop working, I've connected the modem directly to the computer and it does not work either.

I've called many time the xplornet service and they said to me that this is a computer or modem that is saing to the modem to power off... pfff... power saving mode the modem!?! And when I come back, the Internet is not restoring. Normally, with a router, I think that the connection is never droped with the modem.

I heard that the modem is using NAT assingment for IP adresse, can it cause the problem? All my router i've configured all used DHCP. Only the Apple router have been configured in acces point mode using NAT.

I'm tired to power cycle the modem once a day, do you have a hint for me? The xplornet service don't seem to help me with this.

Thank you very much.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Linux Member

As far as I know, any router that is letting you hook up multiple computers to a single Internet connection is going to be using NAT. It might not say so, but it's there. But if your computer works ok for a while, and loses the connection only once a day, I would expect NAT probably isn't the problem.

Question #1: when the Internet connection is lost, can you still communicate with your router? There should be an IP address, something like 192.168.1.1, that lets you access its configuration page. Check the router manual.

Question #2: if you can still communicate with the router, what does it report in its status page? There will be several configuration pages, but one of them will be called "status" or something like that, and will report the status of the Internet connection (possibly called the WAN connection).

For instance, here's what my router is currently reporting. I have a customized router running DD-WRT; your router will look completely different, but should have essentially the same information. (Also, I'm on satellite and not Wimax, so the numbers will be different.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ddwrt-status.jpg (30.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 08-08-2013, 01:57 PM

Hi Brad,

Thank you for answering.

Here are the responses for your questions:

1. When the Internet connection is lost, I can communicate with the router. The local network work great.

2. I will post a picture when I will be at home and the problem will occur. Yesturday, I remeber that nothing was in the box DNS. The status page said "no internet connection". When i've restarted the modem, also nothing was in the DNS box.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:34 PM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

Is the reset almost exactly at 24 hours?
Just wondering if your router is looking to renew its IP address automatically(every 24 hours) and that crashes the connection, requiring the need to reboot the Xplornet modem.

Your router should only be taking the one IP from Xplornet and then the router handles the private network IP address's.

I do suppose the wimax is using the same IP address scheme from the motorola units of what appears to you to be a routable public IP, but you have only a Xplornet private network IP which results in cases of double NAT.

Maybe some type of failure to give out DNS IP's?

DNS address's
opendns

Google

Your hardware causing the Xplornet modem to power off? Well thats a new one. The modem may go to some type of low power mode all by itself when no one is using it for some time, but it keeps itself alive 24/7 for when the need for use arises.

Last edited by buttitchi : 08-08-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:39 PM

The internet connection have worked for 4 days continuously! That make 2 times since yesterday that I need to power cycle the power block. I was thinking that the problem was resolved because I it the TEST button on the picture. The test duration was 1 or 2 minutes and the DNS address were entered automatically in the box (before there was not).

Do you think that it would be a good test to change the DNS for open's or google?

Thanks,
Old 08-19-2013, 07:50 PM

That primary DNS is not valid.
It is looking to an internal LAN machine.

*Unless its part of Xplornets NAT crap on their tower.

The second DNS IP is being a Xplornet dns server.
142.166.86.18 is ns1.xplornet.com

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-genera...valid-dns.html
Quote:
Probably what's happening is that
there really IS a DNS server running at the address you're using but
it's not properly configured. So it doesn't know any addresses and
doesn't know where to go to get that information. DNS has the concept
of a negative answer. Your DNS client will only go to the next server
in the rotation if the first doesn't answer, but if it sends a negative
answer ("that doesn't exist") it just stops there.

Googleing 192.168.175.2 xplornet
https://encrypted.google.com/webhp#f...175.2+xplornet
*Warning: that some of the results are from scrapers and there is only about 4-5 actual results.

Here is an unresolved post(another site) from 3 years ago of an Xplornet user with the same issue of the invalid dns IP address and getting dropped with DNS errors.
http://forums.techguy.org/networking...ss-router.html

Another Xplornet one with problems with a gaming system and conflicting IP address's.
http://www.sevenforums.com/network-s...box-360-a.html

Power cycling on the affected main machine or routers should clear the DNS error and look for a new DNS IP entry, at least until the error comes back.

Last edited by buttitchi : 08-19-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikidude View Post
Do you think that it would be a good test to change the DNS for open's or google?
Thanks,
Either one or you could flip the Xplornet DNS IP's.

primary: 142.166.86.18
second: 192.168.175.2
Old 08-19-2013, 08:20 PM

I've updated the primary DNS to 142.166.86.19.
Thank for the good observation!
Looking forward to see if this change will resolve the problem!
Regards,
Old 08-28-2013, 08:58 AM

RIKIDUDE.

I sometimes have the same problem you describe.

About the same time I had xplornet wimax installed I started having trouble with my Ontario Hydro Smart meter transmitting back.

My tower for the xplornet radio is right next to my smart meter.
I suspect there is a conflict there with the frequency.

So I have a question. Is you radio located near a smart meter?
Old 09-12-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post
RIKIDUDE.

About the same time I had xplornet wimax installed I started having trouble with my Ontario Hydro Smart meter transmitting back.

My tower for the xplornet radio is right next to my smart meter.
I suspect there is a conflict there with the frequency.
I believe that Xplornet's WiMax uses 3.5GHz while the Hydro meter uses 2.4GHz so there should not be any conflict.

If you do long pings (-t option) to google.com, do you drop any packets? If so, call Xplornet and have them find the issue. WiMax can have an issue with "switching panels" on the the tower which can cause problems with your service.