XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Xplornet 4G Wireless Tower Forum (Alvarion equipment) * (newer network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 06:36 AM

Default New Plans for Eastern Ontario

Xplornet has tightened the screws... not long ago they were offering 100GB monthly for $54.99. As of now the plans are Starter Share and Stream only... Starter is only 5GB monthly cap and the others are 20GB.

The more expensive business plans now require a GST number for a business (I currently have a business plan on the legacy system as I use the internet for my work, but under the new policy I would not qualify).

On top of the monthly fee, there is both an installation fee and an activation fee .
Considering the fact that the plans were 100GB recently and that you could add an extra 30GB for $5 monthly, this is a major blow... 20GB doesn't go very far for anybody other than a lite user. What's the point of having fast internet if you cant use it for anything?
Old 04-10-2013, 07:42 PM

I just looked at their current offerings for both fixed wireless and satellite and the caps are:

satellite - 10GB, 20Gb, 30GB per month depending on plan level

Fixed wireless - 10GB, 30GB, 60GB per month depending on plan level

But I have to agree I'm concerned what will happen when the "promo" of 35GB extra for $5/month runs out...
Old 04-11-2013, 07:46 AM

Well here in the Ottawa area, the $5 extra 30GB is gone and there is no 60GB plan... just slightly outside of Ottawa in Winchester there is a promo called EORN that gives a 30GB package and 7mbps downloads, but this is not available here, only 12 kms away. 20GB is currently the biggest package in this area.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:06 AM

I think it's time for you to contact the ERON people and ask a few questions like "what have you done for me lately"?

Once again I've become dis-illusioned with the "smoke and mirrors" of another government agency.

Yes they are bringing high speed to rural areas, but once you figure in the high cost of the monthly fee, the low caps, and then the overage fees, are they really fulfilling their mandate?

I'd like to suggest to all who are reading this to contact the ERON and ask questions like how much money has Xplornet received (they won't tell you BTW)? Since it's taxpayers money, why can't we get these figures? Ask for a comparison chart on urban/rural costings, features and benefits?

While (IMHO) we will never get anywhere with Xplornet, we should be able to hold ERON to account. Maybe we should ask for some town hall meetings so we can provide public feedback on their mandate?
Old 04-15-2013, 12:51 PM

Not only that Xplornet has also added charges to their customers allegedly to fund new towers in their area.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:12 PM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbking67 View Post
Not only that Xplornet has also added charges to their customers allegedly to fund new towers in their area.
So they have like a 'tower build fund' fee added onto the bill?
How much is it a month?
Or is this fee a way to raise more revenue without raising the monthly price? And Xplornet trying to avoid legal issues if they were raising the monthly price of a contract bound customer?

Well I guess the tax man(or whoever in government that deals with billing extra fees) would love to review Xplornets records to see if the fund is 100% going to a special account for just towers and not just being dumped into general funds.
But why should the existing customer fund these new towers anyways? Its not like roads and taxes where its a government service to the peasants. If the monthly bill is to low then raise prices, but that contract price at sign up was for that price at that time.

Rogers for a while was putting a 'government fee' or some crap like that. The fee was not mandated by the government and it was blatant misrepresentation(fraud).

The cell phone carriers had a 'network connection' fee, that was questionable(was not misrepresented but added $ to your monthly bill above advertised price), but has mostly disappeared.

http://www.sse.gov.on.ca/mcs/en/Page...My_Rights.aspx
Quote:
Misrepresentation is illegal:
All charges in an agreement must be what they say they are. For example, a business may not add a $20 surcharge for a “tax” that is not really for tax. Make sure you understand what each charge is for and that it’s valid.
There is also that main issue of people being in a contract and all these fees keep getting tacked on, which changes the service due to extra fees that were not agreed on at the original signing.
Of course the agreed on contract being one sided in the companies favor and here comes the install subsidy with a 3 year contract to avoid higher install fees, which leads to the customer complaining when shitty service and the corporation telling the customer to suck shit because of the 3 year anti-consumer contract.

renegotiation of price.
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...c30_e.htm#BK19
Quote:
Renegotiation of price

16. It is an unfair practice for a person to use his, her or its custody or control of a consumer’s goods to pressure the consumer into renegotiating the terms of a consumer transaction. 2002, c. 30, Sched. A, s. 16.
'Below the line fees' is such an abused area of business practices.
Your monthly price didn't change but you can pay more a month with a charge for something tacked on.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:33 PM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

I should also add that if anyone is getting tired of 'below the line fees', contact,

http://openmedia.ca/

http://stopthecap.com/

And state how you are now stuck paying more in your monthly bill due to extra fees that are an obvious cash grab.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:19 PM

They attempted to force us to use the 50GB Plan but I got my parents to argue with them about them using our paid equipment for signing other people on our neighbor hood to it. They gave us 100GB but been going over it to 110GB to 150GB and no additional charging yet.