XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Generic question forum (don't know where to post?)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2012, 05:56 PM

Arrow Nat Help!!!

Hey Everyone, i'm having some trouble with my NAT on my ps3. i want to play assassins creed revalations but i can not connect to any games because of my stupid NAT 3 Connection. so i was thinking on getting their static IP, but i have a D Link router, so would that mean all my devices use that static IP? and if not, then how do i give my ps3 the static IP??
Old 07-28-2012, 01:50 AM
Linux Member

Sorry, I don't know anything about PS3s or PS3 games, so I can't say offhand why your game won't work with NAT.

However, if you're using a home router, chances are it's doing NAT. Which means that yes, all your devices will share the static IP that is assigned to you.

It's possible -- and this is just guesswork on my part -- that the problem is that the game needs to initiate a connection to your PS3, which means you need to accept incoming connections. If you know the port number that will be used, you can probably program your router to pass those requests through to your PS3. (You didn't specify a model number for your D-Link router, so it's hard to be specific. Not that I'm familiar with their hardware anyway.)

This problem can't be unique to Xplornet. You might also try asking on a PS3 forum.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:05 AM
Linux Member

I just found this article which suggests that the problem is indeed incoming connections. When I referred to programming your router, I was thinking of what he describes as "static port forwarding". In this case what he calls the "RG" is your router.

I did not realize PS3 games were so finicky about port numbers. Xplornet is known to use NAT in their access points, which means that there's a good chance there will be another PS3 player sharing that access point, and you'll be in the "Strict" NAT type. (In this case the RG is the Xplornet NAT device.) That limits who you can interact with.

If you have a static IP and configure the inbound port forwarding correctly, and you have only one PS3, you will likely be the "Open" NAT type. (You'll also be NAT Type 2 according to that article.)