XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Xplornet 4G Wireless Tower Forum (Alvarion equipment) * (newer network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2012, 06:22 PM

I can assure you the xplornet Alvarion wiimax units are much better than the everus equipment, although the everus equipment came in many flavours.

the 3.5ghz vecima system did offer good speeds, although it frequently broke down, they also used 2.4 900 and 5.8 ghz frequencies.

the bandwidth of everus being unlimited is certainly a nice plus, but the 20g typical wiimax system is far better than you will get from bell or rogers cell networks, those should certainly be a last resort unless you plan on never using the system you have but need to move it around from location to location.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Linux Member

Thanks for the info! We're currently using the 3.5 GHz Vecima system. I presume by "the bandwidth being unlimited" you mean that the units run without throttling. Xplornet was (still is?) notorious for throttling back their 2.4 GHz Motorola units after a few seconds of full speed.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:31 PM

Negative, I was referring to the amount of data you download over the entire month. They never tracked this for everus customers.

However the alvarion units do not have the same terrible speed boost as the older canopy system as you said.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Linux Member

Ha, that's funny. I always assumed they tracked our Everus usage, since they quoted a price per GB if we went over our 15 GB limit. (We never did; our usage is typically 6 to 10 GB per month.)

The important thing is to avoid that speed boost issue with the Canopy system. If the Alvarion units don't have that, we should be ok.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:00 PM

one thing that works well with the 4g satellite is the majic jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprdave View Post
Interesting...We're near Chesley to be more specific.
We don't really like those other options, the satellite is more costly and has it's own issues, including no VOIP.

We have Rogers now, we're 5km from the tower but also got a directional antenna to make sure of good signal....and it does sort of work, better than dialup anyway.... But it's expensive as our family is getting to over 10GB a lot of months, and has it's own issues. The internet cuts out, resetting the hub seems to help some. Can't do VOIP or games, etc.
It's own phone service is problemsome, things like caller id often don't work. Caller id doesn't transmit properly to others, touch tones often don't transmit good if you're calling any automated service, echoing, etc.

You figure Xplornet hardware is worse than Everus? (Do you mean if you had to leave Everus hardware?) Think we need "visual" line of sight? As our visual is block by the top of a bush.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:07 PM

Default pay back time

I had paid Everus a bucket of $ so I would not have to sign a contract.
xplornet eventually said sign a new contract or be cut off, I called their bluff and they cut me off. Had no internet for a month but they offered a 100G for extra $ 5. , so I had to sign back up for 3 years. Now there is a new player in town that is willing to connect me up with their line of sight. Next week I get to call and cancel my xplornet (i am within my 30 days) Pay back time.

Question is, is it truly no questions asked or will they try screw me.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Linux Member

Who's the new player? I'm wondering if I'm in their coverage area.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:58 PM

We've been on the xplornet 4G service since Sept/11. I was on Everus as well, with clear LOS to the Chesley tower. I talked to xplornet several times about the 4G service and although they said they had a built-out tower there, they couldn't or wouldn't activate it. Finally they (Northwind) came out and did a test to the Paisley tower. The signal they said was amazing (-96 ?) so I went with it.

Until today the service has been good, maybe a couple of five minute outages in all this time. I'm on the 3Mbs plan and I generally get download speeds of 371 KBytes/secwithout too much variance. Upload speed is more variable, but is generally good although I never see better than 71 KBytes/sec. I sure miss the old Everus 300 KB/sec upload speed.

I only recently heard about gbtel.ca from someone who has the service, which they claim is great and also no contract.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:39 AM

The 4G WiMax was out for more than six hours yesterday. I have the Bell Turbo Hub from BMTS as a backup. What I found interesting was that for the whole time Xplornet was out, gbtel.ca was also out. Coincidence ? I wonder.

I also think I was wrong about the signal strength, it was more like -57. I seem to recall the installer saying -75 was limit for the maximum speed service. -97 is what I get with the Bell hub with no external antenna.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:28 PM

A new player seems to be something called Maximum ISP. Only comes as far south as Chatsworth roughly. Good prices and their highest package claims 1Mb uplink speed. Website seems pretty amateurish though.