XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Xplornet 4G Wireless Tower Forum (Alvarion equipment) * (newer network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 06:29 PM

Default Anyone in Grey Bruce (Ontario)?

We're looking to get Xplornet fixed wireless and was wondering if any others had experience here?

They said they can get a good signal from our barn, but there isn't line of sight to the tower 4 km away...So they must not need LOS? The leaves aren't weren't much out yet when they came either....

Xplornet seems to be about the only option here, has anyone found anything else? If I knew someone with proper high speed I would set up a wireless link with them..........
Old 05-14-2012, 06:44 PM
Linux Member

I'm on the old Everus fixed wireless system, that was acquired by Xplornet. As far as I can tell, Xplornet is trying to push all new customers onto their "4G" system...which has really low monthly caps.

Depending on where you live, your alternatives may be limited to:
a) Xplornet satellite
b) Galaxy Broadband satellite (might still be reselling HughesNet, I don't know)
c) Rogers cellular
d) Bell cellular

I'm getting acceptable service on the Everus hardware, but if I had to leave, I'd probably switch to Rogers (there's a Rogers tower nearby). Although I've read on some of these forums that Rogers is a whole new set of problems.

And yes, don't trust a signal report when the leaves aren't out.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad R View Post
I'm on the old Everus fixed wireless system, that was acquired by Xplornet. As far as I can tell, Xplornet is trying to push all new customers onto their "4G" system...which has really low monthly caps.

Depending on where you live, your alternatives may be limited to:
a) Xplornet satellite
b) Galaxy Broadband satellite (might still be reselling HughesNet, I don't know)
c) Rogers cellular
d) Bell cellular

I'm getting acceptable service on the Everus hardware, but if I had to leave, I'd probably switch to Rogers (there's a Rogers tower nearby). Although I've read on some of these forums that Rogers is a whole new set of problems.

And yes, don't trust a signal report when the leaves aren't out.
Interesting...We're near Chesley to be more specific.
We don't really like those other options, the satellite is more costly and has it's own issues, including no VOIP.

We have Rogers now, we're 5km from the tower but also got a directional antenna to make sure of good signal....and it does sort of work, better than dialup anyway.... But it's expensive as our family is getting to over 10GB a lot of months, and has it's own issues. The internet cuts out, resetting the hub seems to help some. Can't do VOIP or games, etc.
It's own phone service is problemsome, things like caller id often don't work. Caller id doesn't transmit properly to others, touch tones often don't transmit good if you're calling any automated service, echoing, etc.

You figure Xplornet hardware is worse than Everus? (Do you mean if you had to leave Everus hardware?) Think we need "visual" line of sight? As our visual is block by the top of a bush.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:22 PM

If your on Facebook visit Xplornet for the numerous negative comments going back for months. I have been researching this 4G satellite internet and have concluded that it is no different than it's previous system except its ability to increase customer volume. The speeds are capable of being very fast but the service is offered at 5 MB down and I can say from reading around and observing actual speeds on these systems that you will get 2.5 to 3 Mbps down and less than 1 Mpbs up when you initially sign up. Once your 30 days is over you speeds will deteriorate because Xplornet is still throttling speeds to create a fair user policy. Voip and games on Xplornet are no better than Rogers, poor, loss of calls, etc.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:20 PM

No Im not on Facebook...don't have the time/patience for alot of that...

Do you think/know/have "proof" that they actively give you some sort of priority for your first 30 days (guarentee period) and then cut you back/limit/throttle after you are "locked in"? It was eluded to somewhere else but not specific.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:25 PM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

Xplornet's open(no registration required to read) Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/Xplornet

Line of sight is very important for any frequency over the 900Mhz. Depending on the amount of tree's to shoot through, sometimes even the 900Mhz will have issues in signal strength and dropped packets.
Sometimes a wireless signal can bounce off of objects, which is also another case for signal issues.

People have had Xplornet wireless installed in the winter, to then have their signal degrade as the leaves come on to the tree's, resulting in a large bill to get a tower installed on the user property for the unit to see the Xplornet tower, since Xplornet will just say for the people with wireless issues to keep paying(with no service) or be 'upgraded' to satellite from wireless.

Xplornet does have a licensed frequency(3.5Ghz) that they could use in areas of interference for the open frequencies of 900Mhz and 2.4Ghz.

DSLreports customer reviews of Xplornet:
https://secure.dslreports.com/comments/2584

Wireless towers can and do get over-subscribed with about a 7 month wait for new bandwidth capacity(as per some reviews) after over-subscription.

Alvarion wireless equipment news article:
http://alvarion.com/index.php/en/new...lte-capability

Depending on what you want to use the Internet for, is there are various throttling practices that Xplornet employs. So many MB's per hour/day/month. Plus throttling for when parts of the system is at or above capacity.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:49 AM
Linux Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprdave View Post
You figure Xplornet hardware is worse than Everus? (Do you mean if you had to leave Everus hardware?) Think we need "visual" line of sight? As our visual is block by the top of a bush.
From the comments I've read here, I think Xplornet's usual wireless hardware is worse than Everus. Everus used licensed frequencies in the 3.5 GHz band, which means they get less interference. When Xplornet acquired Everus, I kept the same equipment, so I'm getting tolerable service. But elsewhere Xplornet has been installing mostly wireless hardware in the unlicensed 2.4 GHz band, which is rapidly getting overcrowded, so interference is likely to be a problem. And their 2.4 GHz hardware (Motorola? I've forgotten) has very restrictive bandwidth caps applied.

My unit is up on a 48-foot tower, and connects to an access point about 5 km away. It's probably line-of-sight for the unit, but it's not line-of-sight from ground level. (On the other hand, I can see the closest Rogers tower from my front yard.) Fortunately the tower was already installed, so I didn't have to pay for that.

Back in the Everus days, my 3.5 GHz transceiver failed, and for a quick replacement they installed a 900 MHz unit connecting to a different access point. That didn't work at all -- technical problems unrelated to the radio link -- so they brought out a new 3.5 GHz unit. That unit has been working fine for two years. (Everus was great for service. Thank goodness I haven't needed hardware service since Xplornet took over.) One problem with 900 MHz units is that they have a lower maximum speed.

If you're frequently hitting 10 GB per month, be very careful to investigate Xplornet's terms. If I recall correctly, the cap for their new 4G service is something like 2 or 3 GB/month. You'll probably need to upgrade several service levels to get a 10 GB cap.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Linux Member

Okay, I have more information now, since Xplornet has informed us that they're terminating our Everus service.

First, adding to the confusion, Xplornet refers to both their new satellite service (ViaSat 1), and the new fixed wireless service (Wimax), as "4G". We're looking at the fixed wireless service, not the satellite service. Any satellite service comes with a whole new set of problems.

I was wrong about the caps. Yes, Xplornet is offering an introductory Wimax service with a pathetic 2GB cap, but the next step up is 10GB for about what we're paying for our current service, and for $5 more the cap is 20GB. (Actually we're in a "special pricing area" so we get a different set of plans, but they're comparable.)

I chatted with our local installer and he informed me that the Wimax service is around 3.6 GHz, and the access point is on the same tower as the current Everus access point (about 5 km away). So he expects we'll have no problem connecting, but Xplornet will send him out to do a site survey anyway. Your mileage may vary, depending on terrain.

My biggest concerns were the low cap, and Xplornet's use of the unlicensed (and crowded) 2.4 GHz spectrum. Those now seem to be non-issues, so we're going to give their Wimax service a try. (And if the site survey craps out, Rogers is our fallback plan.)
Old 06-02-2012, 02:53 PM

I couple other wireless providers in Grey/Bruce Ive come across:

Maximum ISP
Grey Bruce Telecom

Maximum ISP I didn't get a response from the online form so I called and He said the form doesn't work so email the GPS location. Im waiting to hear but He didn't say no to Chesley area.

GBtel I haven't got a response from the form either so I will try calling next week, but I found out someone near here has them.

Anyone know what these are like?
Old 06-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Linux Member

I think I chatted with someone from GBTel a few years ago. They seemed knowledgeable, and I tend to prefer local suppliers...but their service area is in the northern part of the county, and I'm in the southern part. If they cover your area they are certainly worth investigating.

If I recall correctly, Maximum ISP also does not come this far south.