XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Xplornet 4G Wireless Tower Forum (Alvarion equipment) * (newer network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2012, 10:15 PM

I've had the forced/tricked into the 4G upgrade from a somewhat sellout ISP... Wasn't able to get the 10mg package because the signal just wasn't there, had to settle for the 7mg. It works fine for youtube and everyday surfing... Online gaming ie: Mw3 is horrible, don't even think about P2P during their supposed peek hours (7am-1am). What I still cant get over is when I was downloading drivers from the Dell site it was capped at 35k/s and to make matters even funnier, downloading from Dell's ftp site the transfer rate was not capped, REALLY???

If if you don't really want to use the internet then xplornet 4G is right for you.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:07 AM

Default New Fixed Wifi 4G Xplornet

I had a big long wall of boring text written in, instead im just gonna get to the point, I have just signed up a few days ago for the 10Mbps package with Xplornet and I am also getting speeds of 10.1-10.2Mbps. I have a 100G limit all for $95/month, this plan is actually too fast for just myself so I will be going down to 5Mbps (which is ~$55/month) soon enough. So far its great, only downside is I download torrents at 30Kb/s during the day but whatever I get 1.25 Megabytes/sec downloading at night. Hopefully it stays this way, I've only ever heard bad things about this company..
Old 08-26-2012, 10:50 AM

On Tuesday, Storm is installing for me a 10 down / 5 Up 200GB for the same price of $95 a month. With cancelling the Bell Sat and Phone, all our entertainment will be streamed via various outlets. thus the 200 Gb cap is much better for me. And Storms guaranteed throughput is a lot better than Xplornet's... Now, I was not complaining about the Xplornet 4G. It worked well for me. Even torrents were at 600 kbps most of the time. Pings were a little higher but not too bad. But what I didn't want,,, was another 3 year contract...
Xplornet actually came and switched my hardware back to the Expedience OSU when I cancelled the 4G contract. Seems like a silly waste of resources, but they are coming back on Friday (When my official 3g contract ends) to remove it all from my property anyways, so what do I care. The Storm survey guy said that they don't use the same equipment as Xplornet. He referred to theirs as high tech state of the art. So I have no idea what hardware they will be installing. I will let you's know how it turns out.

I also just wanted to note. I have been in direct contact via email with Storm customer service. Their customer service is excellent. I can not say the same for Xplornet. For Xplornet, I can not say the same.

Last edited by Sativus420 : 08-26-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:16 PM

I can't believe that I am, as of Tuesday afternoon, still an Xplornet customer.
Storm came, and they tried. I mean they tried everything. Higher, lower, this way, that way, different frequency equipment, different towers, and just about everything short of installing a 40 foot tower. No matter what, I could not get a good enough signal to sustain a descent connection. These guys were awesome. Friendly and understanding people. But in the end, we decided that it would be best to not subscribe to the service until I can install a tower. An $800 dollar tower if they do it.
Xplornet is coming back and re installing the WiMax for the 10 mb package with 100 gb data cap for 95 plus taxes a month. And I am looking at another 3 year contract. Fuck.
How are the pings for you guys on the new Alvarion hardware? Worse then the Expedience or same or batter? Mine were 2-3 times worse, ranging from 100-120. The Expedience hardware I ping at 42-50.

So that's it. It ended with me staying with Xplornet.
I am so disappointed.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:49 AM

So far after installing and upgrading a few former canopy and expedience customers, I've been very impressed with the sustained speeds. Every speed test is at or just under contract speeds. depending on the channel width the AP's are set at, the AP's can handle a total through put of 40 mbps each. I'm also blown away at how this technology can penetrate through trees, even better than 900 mhz canopy. I've easily run shots going through two rows of 40 foot high trees hitting a tower about 10 miles behind that at full modulation. As an installer who's played with everything from Canopy, expdience, ubiquity, breezenet, cisco, tranzeo, trango and waverider over a period of 8 years; nothing blows me away like this Alvarion wimax technology. out of 30 service calls over a period of 2 months, ive only once had to resort to putting a customer on the Viasat system due to the fact that customer was behind a very tall bluff of dense spruce trees. I've even played with Motorola's version of wimax, the pmp 320's. Even that doesnt have the capabilities of alvarion. Xplornet really shopped around and researched this product.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:22 AM

Greetz everyone.
I am currently a Bell turbo hub user. Great speed, but 10gig month cap sucks.
A friend (who was with ripnet, bought by xplornet) got switched over to the new xplornet about a month ago.
He got a 5Mb, 100GB cap plan for $55.00 plus tax. (3yr contract)

So for the last month we have been testing.
The 5 Mb is definately burst only. It operates just as they outline in their
traffic management policy that you can find on their site.

Downloading a 700MB torrent with utorrent took about 5hrs during the day.
According to the policy it will be faster between 1am to 8am.

We streamed a movie on netflix in full quality hd at the same time without
any problem.

So next thursday (oct4th) they are going to install at my house.
I had to put up a 50ft tower + 10ft mast = 60ft to hopefully be high enough.
They told me they do not test. Well, not true. They willl do a site test but it cost $150. The xplornet agent told me it would cost less for them just to come and start the install and if they can't get enough signal I might be out
$90 for the 1st hour labor rate. Part of the install would be refunded if successful. That sucks, but not any choice here on the outskirts of Brockville, on.

I will report back some numbers when/if I get connected.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:37 AM
Linux Member

Well, I don't sign with anyone unless they can prove to me at no charge that I can get coverage. When I signed with Everus, the site test was free. When I opted to upgrade to Xplornet's new hardware, I was assured the test wasn't necessary, since the old Everus hardware worked fine. As you say, they started the install and then discovered there wasn't enough signal. But I did not pay for that.

With the Rogers Hub, of course, I did my own site test. If it hadn't worked, I could return it for a full refund.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:59 AM

Xplornet installed 4g for me today.
I barley made the minimum connection for the 5M down plan.
you need 20 on the sending signal strength to get the 5M down plan and that's exactly what I had.
The told me I might need another tower section. But since the leaves are falling off the trees right now, I should be good until spring. By then they said they
would have some of their closer towers converted to the new equipment
and I can be re-aimed.
They would have installed another section, but the didn't have one with them.
Also I would need more guy wire support. So they left it to me. If I have trouble before the closer towers become available, they will install another section of tower.

Not sure what this cost for install yet, as the basic install was free.
They did put the top tower section on for me as I could not manage it myself.
I had install the other 4 sections myself. The installer made notes to 15 minutes of time to install top section. Fair enough.

I was with bell turbo hub, which was fairly fast.
So far the Xplornet is significantly quicker when browsing and about the same
on downloads with an acccelerator. I am showing between 600 to 700 Kbs
on Internet Download Manager.
Netflicks steams HD without a glitch.
My ping is 55.

So far so good. But this is just my first day.
I will post back later once I have more time with it.
Also, they are adding a lot of user right now. It's a very agressive rollout.
But she's rockin tonite.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:27 AM

Just updating my previous post.

My installation cost was $67.00 with tax.
That included them putting the top section of my tower on and 25ft of cable.
They were here almost 3 hrs.

I am now 26 days into my 30 day trial period.
Downloads from file servers using Internet Download Manager (IDM)
are 700 Kilo Bytes (KB) every time. That translates to 5.4 Megabits. (Mb).
My ping is usually around 88 using Pingtest.
With Utorrent, where there are lots of seeds I get 630KB.

I have been downloading like crazy and lots of Netflix.
I was a bit concerned about how much of my 100GB cap I had used.
But when I look at my internet usage on Xplornet user portal it shows Zero.
So I called them and they said they did not have a usage tracker on me yet.
They said not to worry. They could not charge me if I was not able to track my usage.

So 26 days in and I feel I am getting what I am supposed to be getting.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:02 AM

I began using the WiMax 4G on 05/09/2012.
Till this day I get 880 using a download manager, every time-any time from thinkbroadband.com
I am still disappointed that I could not get the signal to move to Storm and their 10/5, but I am currently VERY happy with the service I have been getting from Xplornet since the switch. Although my NetTalk Voip is a little laggy.