XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Generic question forum (don't know where to post?)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2015, 10:27 PM

Default Good Luck

I wanted to post and say "thanks" to the admin who keep this site up. I have learned quite a lot about Xplornet. I assume like many people here I got hooked with the promise of LTE coming to my neighbourhood. However, after having read through a lot of the posts here and the Xplornet twitter feed I will stick with what I have. Its not great, but then neither are the experiences I have read about for this service. I know that its the people who have bad experiences who tend to be the most vocal, but I don't think I have read where anyone went "Dam this is a great service!" LOL

So "good luck" everyone who is stuck with lousy internet service. Thanks again to the site operators and our Canadian government, without whom none of this would be possible.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:11 AM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

So how's your ISP?

Thing with Xplornet is the same complaints(over selling, blame the customer, call agents that act like 'this has never happened before') are continuing all these years.
It helps to learn how things are long/short term and how it's not just a 'new thing' or a 'unique customer problem'. Some towers/spot-beams could be wonderful all the time. Some could be useless during primetime. It's a crap shoot.

Early 2017, satellite internet(same 600ms minimum lag) should be getting better with the new Hughesnet and Viasat satellites with more North America coverage. Installers will once again popup out of nowhere to meet the demand for a couple of years. Would be nice to get rid of that rainy Newfoundland downlink/uplink gateway.

Wireless is still a mess in Canada. Unlicensed frequencies still being used by ISPs. Wireless hardware and servers/backhauls that can't keep up with demand. Xplornet has bought some more licensed frequencies to cut back on interference problems and help higher speeds be stable.
In Xplornet's case, the lack of future planning to avoid overselling capacity. Future planning usually entails a sales block to new customers, until backhaul capacity is increased, to avoid primetime strains on the network.

Xplornet throttles that look like becoming more restrictive, while at the same time saying all the videos you can watch(time sensitive). The older form of throttles were far worse with 'burst' speeds. When it comes to OS security updates and some other things, they should not be throttled to what the CRTC says amounts to 'blocking the content'(estimated download time of 36 hours.....). http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t1043.htm Overnight hours, when the throttles go away, people like to sleep instead of spending time updating.

Xplornet is still beating the dead horse of "we are training more agents to be able to handle the call volume". So that means that lots of people keep calling in with problems, or that they have high turnover in call agents. 45 minutes on hold to talk to someone and still get nowhere, is very bad for customer's time constraints.

With all the tax payer money that has so far been dolled out to certain wireless ISP, fiber could of been run to tens of thousands of homes, rural groupings and edge of town.

Xplornet's Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Xplornet/posts_to_page

Xplornet's Twitter
https://twitter.com/Xplornet/with_replies

Last edited by buttitchi : 06-24-2015 at 01:47 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:43 AM
Linux Member

Agreed - the question is not "how bad is Xplornet?", but "how good are the alternatives?"

Where I live the options are bad, awful, and terrible, with Xplornet as "bad". As you can see from my signature below, I've tried just about everything. I find that for both quality of service, and customer service, Xplornet is the best of a bad lot. (If you think Xplornet customer service is slow, wait until you call Rogers to correct a billing error.)

Having come through dialup and then three different satellite services, I have fairly low expectations for Internet. I don't use Netflix, and don't expect I ever will. I don't play online games. It's basically email, web, and downloads for me. Not being a Windows user, I don't have to do gigabyte-long updates, so that's not an issue. So I'm reasonably content with Xplornet fixed wireless.

But that's just me, where I live. Other people in other places have other options. It's a pity that there's no advice better than "try it and see." And, "your mileage may vary."
Old 06-24-2015, 10:59 AM

Agree with all the thoughtful comments above. "Your mileage may vary."

I had been completely frustrated with Xplornet for several years. It is asinine for a company to intentionally run a network that promises speeds "up to" a certain limit and then deliver speeds that are about a tenth of that.

That said, they are getting better. I switched from the old Expedience platform to the Jupiter satellite to get better speeds. Despite the slow ping, which Xplornet can't really do anything about due to the distances involved, the service was reliable and fast most of the time. That said, it seemed like a stop-gap solution for decent terrestrial service.

I'm now on the LTE service and have been a "mostly happy" customer for several months. Speeds and ping are consistent, and better data plans mean I don't have to worry about going over the cap. One of the big worries I had was how well the service would do in the summer, when more people are home and more leaves are on the trees to degrade the signal, but the LTE network has proven resilient so far. We've only had one major outage in the past several months, and it was resolved in a few hours.

So again, YMMV. Some areas get better service than others. You would be wise to talk to your neighbours who have Xplornet and find out how they like it. LTE will never be as good as wired Internet, but it's a pretty good solution so far. I hope this helps.