XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Xplornet 4G Wireless Tower Forum (Alvarion equipment) * (newer network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2014, 09:59 PM

Default New subscriber

Hi All,

After much research and hesitation I finally signed up with Explornets 4G service (still keeping my original WISP for a bit). I am on the 5mbit plan, was a hair away on signal strength for the 10mbit. I have had it for 1 week now and was somewhat impressed, until tonight. It rained for 30 minutes, nothing strong just an average rainfall. Internet was basically useless during this time. Is this normal for this type of service?? Ping plotter showed packet loss all over the place, pings went from usual low 70's to mid to high 100's
Do I have faulty hardware on my roof??

Ziomarco

Last edited by Ziomarco : 10-02-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Linux Member

We've had the 4G system for about 4 weeks now, but we haven't had any really heavy rainfall during that period (except for overnight when I was asleep). Light rainfall hasn't had an impact that I've noticed in casual surfing, though I haven't run speed tests to measure it.

Ask me again in a few hours. We have a heavy rain moving in, and I'm going to run some speed tests then.

Our installer told us our signal strength was more than enough for 10 mbit, though we're currently on the 5 mbit plan. So we may not be comparable to your situation -- we can probably handle some loss of signal strength (due to rain) and still get our usual 5 mbit.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:33 PM

Default 100 GB limit

Ok so I just hit the 100 GB limit, my limit resets in 2 days. WOW did I ever get throttled down to less than 1.5mbit!!!!! WTF Explornet says we will charge $2 per GB after your limit and then throttles me down to a crawl!!! So I am paying more for less service. Not impressed.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:12 AM
Linux Member

Huh? I thought it was one or the other. Either you pay $2 per GB over the cap, and still operate full speed, OR you get throttled but you don't pay extra.

Nice to know what the throttle speed will be (< 1.5 Mbps), if I ever hit the cap. Thanks for posting that.

P.S. We still haven't had a good heavy rain for testing. October 3rd was a dud. About a week and a half of light rain, but no heavy rain.