XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Generic question forum (don't know where to post?)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2013, 10:48 AM

Default first time xplornetsucker

Hello thank you for the xplornetsucks membership. I am new here. I would like to share my experiences with xplornet.

I did have bell wimax service which is a line of sight service screwed on our chimney. The service was to be discontinued 2014 and the service in our opinion was not ideal so we thought we would try xplornet. We kept both bells and xplornets service for 30 days and did a comparison. Xplornet seemed better so we went with xplornet. At least it was better for a couple of months.

The service deterioated to the point where it was akin to dial-up. We did not know what was up because up until then the service was good. I had even recommended it to neighbours. I feel bad now. They sent a tech out to check out our install. The install was fine with no issues. I asked the tech "could it be our router because sometimes if we unplug the modem the service seems slightly better" The tech said possibly.

Went to Staples bought another router. Still the same cr_ppy service.

I thought maybe my computer has a virus. My wife needed a new laptop any how so ordered a new computer from Amazon. The service is just as slow on a new computer with latest antivirus software. Friends of our kids come over with their laptops or tablets and they complain about the service.

Called xplornet again and complained. I was informed that the top users of bandwidth have their service halved to solve bandwidth traffic issues. I informed them that even retrieving emails from my mail server (not xplornets) was iffy as I get timeouts half the time. Surfing the internet is terrible. Sometimes a page will not load unless you refresh it. The good news is if you get up at 3 in the morning the service is quite snappy. I generally avoid getting up at 3 in the morning because I sleep then.

So. That is my experience so far with about 6 months under my belt. Now the next issue which seems strange to me and never has this happened before. Any comments would be helpful.

I use kijiji to shop and to sell the odd idem or two. I was trying to list a truck that I had for sale. I kept getting emails from kijiji asking for a seller fee because I had more than two vehicles for sale which is their policy. I responded saying that I did not. They responded and said that I did and that at least 9 email addresses using MY IP ADDRESS had attempted to list autos for sale. They said to unplug your router and your router would renew the ip address which I assume it did.

My question is what the heck?? Can people concurrently use the same ip address which I did not think was possible, am I being hacked in some way, any ideas. I mentioned it to xplornet tech support and they new no more than me.

If you got this far thanks.

Beeone
Old 11-19-2013, 12:23 PM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

Wireless or Satellite?

Both use shared IP address's.
Both can have throttles during peak hours, 5pm to 11pm. Throttles for hourly usage. Or throttles when a user hits their monthly maximum.

For wireless there is a router on the tower that gives out LAN IP's. Means that 100-200 people could be using the same Internet IP address. This results in a 'double NAT' and certain protocols can have issues with that. It may look like you have a dedicated Internet IP but it is shared.
Wireless towers can have an over-subscription issue that is only solved with new antenna arrays, servers or a bigger pipe to the internet.

This thread:
http://www.xplornetsucks.com/forumss...ead.php?t=1503
If you are experiencing Problems with your router not pulling a proper DNS from Xplornet's system. The issue on that one was a double NAT issue with the primary DNS being a fuckup.

Satellite is generally the same thing. Your IP will look like an Internet IP but is shared amongst many users. An issue with satellite is how many users are on the spot beam, plus how many users are on the gateway(earth station).
Coupled with which satellite you are on. Anik F2, Spaceway3, Jupiter1(echostar17), Viasat1. Old KU's.

With the KiJiJi, some sites will have security that don't always play well with shared IP's.
Google search for users on satellite can have the issue where it will put up a captcha before searching as all the same IP''s hitting it is seen as an attack. Usually happens during primetime.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:29 PM
Linux Member

Yes, that sounds like the famous "double NAT" problem. Especially on Xplornet wireless, many people can share the same IP address.

beeone, it's like your home router on a large scale. Look at it this way: you have a router. You know that you have a single IP address assigned by your ISP (Xplornet, Bell, or whoever). Yet you can connect two or more computers to your router. Your router does this by assigning "private" IP addresses to the computers in the household, and then funneling those requests through the single IP address of your Internet connection. (That's called Network Address Translation, NAT for short.)

Xplornet basically does the same thing at each wireless tower. There's a router at the tower, that has a single IP address assigned to it. When you connect to the tower, you are assigned a private IP address, and the tower's router funnels your requests out to the wider Internet using its single IP address. The problem is, there can be up to a few hundred people using that tower, and they'll all share the same "public" IP address. Worse still, all of those people will be in your general area, so they're probably all trying to submit ads to the same Kijiji page.

Kijiji is wrong: it won't help if you unplug and re-plug your router. It's true that your router will request a new IP address, but what it will get is a new private IP address from the tower's router. Your public IP address, which Kijiji sees, will be the IP address of the tower's router, and that won't change.

Feel free to send this explanation to Kijiji if you think it will help. This is a long-known problem with Xplornet's wireless service.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:58 PM

Thank you Brad and Buttitchi for your excellent and well explained answers. My computer background is not that great but I do remember learning at bit about dhcp, tcpip, routers etc., enough to get the gist of what you are saying. It now makes sense. Also we have been just recently getting stopped from googling. We get a message that says a computer on our network is sending automated requests to google. I suppose that is because, perhaps, google sees multiple instances of the same ip address googling.

We are on satellite by the way. And yes we are definately being throttled. It is simply unusable at times. As soon as I can find another isp I am abandoning ship. However there are so few options and the initial installation costs can be prohibitive especially if the new isp also turns out to be no good.

When I signed up I opted to pay the extra $5 per month for extra bandwidth up to 50GB. I called them up and told them to forget the extra bandwidth as I do not stand a chance of ever using it as the service is too slow. They offered to do some technical troubleshooting but I told them not to worry about it as it would not help because the service is simply no good and that I could no longer recommend the service to anyone. They apologized and then that was that

Thanks again folks
Old 11-19-2013, 05:34 PM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeone View Post

We are on satellite by the way.
Might you know which satellite?

Modems are HT1000(newish) , HN9000(older) for hughesnet.

surfbeam black(new) color for Viasat1

surfbeam blue color(older) for Telesat(anik f2).