XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Xplornet 4G Wireless Tower Forum (Alvarion equipment) * (newer network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 11:59 AM

Just an update on my own evaluation of Xplornet.

I have had the new Wireless Xplornet now for 2 months.
They have started using the usage tracker now. THey did not for the first
1.5 months.
I notice my download speeds are restricted now. But it varies.
But I don't find it two bad. I can live with it.

My only bitch at the moment is the usage tracker.
Today is Nov 29th. I just got Xplornet's bill in my email.
The billing cycle runs from the 29th of one month to the 28th of the next.

I realize yesterday was the first day of the new month and I am curious as to how much I am using. So upon checking my usage it says I have used 16.1 GB for the month. This being the morning of the 30th, it means I used 16 GB in one day.
Upon closer examination I see the usage trackers month is from the 1st of the month to the 30th.
Not the same as the billing month. Now does that make sense to anyone?
Not me!

Then when the tracker resets at the end of the month, it will look like I haven't used anything since the start of the billing cycle.

If I was trying to cause confusion and trick customers into either over or under using their monthly allowance. This is exactly how I would do it.

I have opened a case file with Xplornet today. So will see what they say.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:34 AM

Xplornet replied to my usage tracker concerns the next day.

Here is the reply.
There was an identified glitch in our usage tracker that was setting everyone's usage to zero. Upon fixing the issue, many users noticed their usage jumped an impossible amount within a 24 hour period. As such, we are still not charging for any overages incurred at this time.

I have now written back the following:
This has nothing to do with what I stated.

YOUR USAGE TRACKER DOES NOT TRACK THE SAME PERIOD OF TIME AS THE BILLING PERIOD.
THE BILLING PERIOD IS THE 29TH TO THE 28TH DAY OF EACH MONTH.
THE USAGE IS BEING TRACKED FROM THE 1ST TO THE 30TH.

EXAMPLE: It is the 29th of Nov. The first day of the billing cycle.
I go wild and download 99GB on that first day. Now I only have 1 GB left to use by
the 28th of Dec.
But if I look at the usage tracker on the 1st of Dec it will say zero usage. Because it resets on the 1st day of the month. Rather than the 29th, as the billing cycle does.

Maybe thus is where your mystery problem lies?

If I was deliberately going to sabotage the usage tracking to cause over billiong the best way would be to track it over a different time period as the billing cycle.

Now either their IT people are complete morons. (which I doubt) or
that is exactly what Xplornet is doing.

Time will tell.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:23 PM

The usage tracker didn't work for almost a year until this October. Even now it doesn't work very well. It says I did zero traffic for three days last month when I do a minimum of a gigabyte per day.

When I called in about something else and I asked about the discrepancy between the tracker month and the billing month, it was explained to me that the tracker cuts off earlier so that if you have an overage charge it will make it on to that month's bill.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:58 AM

I just got Xplornet installed last week and I asked the same question about the billing dates and the usage dates not matching up. They wrote back saying that they are working on it, so in the future the dates are supposed to sync up.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:19 PM

Since it took them a year to even get the tracker to work, wonky as it is, your contract will probably be over before the dates sync.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:53 AM

I talked to xplornet tech yesterday about the usage tracker. After a bunch of excuses he told me it isn't working properly yet and they are not billing anyone for over usage.

I live near Ottawa. Every morning I noticed I had usage. Even though my computers were down all night. Then I notice the usage tracker is on Greenwich time.
That's London England. They are 5 hrs ahead of me. So for me the new day starts at 7pm. (GMT -5hrs.) From 7pm t0 9pm I am watching netflix. So that usage shows up on the next day.

As far as speed goes. On torrents, 25-30KB is the max. No matter how many seeds or peers. Xplornet has file sharing restricted. As far as I am concerned it is now useless, other than small files. I am half way thru downloading a 45MB file right now using Utorrent and the elapsed time shows 15 minutes.
So that would make it half and hour for 45MB (90MB/hr) There are 139 seeds and 190 peers.

Downloads from file servers are only limited to my 5mega bit plan during the day. But are about half that at night and on weekends.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:40 PM

They said the same thing to me. The tracker is currently not ready and they are not charging for ANY over usage until it is fixed. And, when it is fixed, we will be notified prior to any over charges being charged.
For me, the counter is also in GMT time. It adds my usage that I use during the free times of 2-7am and is generally not very accurate according to my router.

However, I do still get what I pay for. I mean, I can get a full 7mb anytime I ftp or use a download accelerator, and torrents are limited also to about 30kbps during the day, but not during the late evening / early morning.

All in all, I am almost happy. What I need is more upload. Just 2 would be fine. Storm offers a 10/5 plan, basically the same cost. It will cost me for the tower though in order to get it, which I am willing to do. But I am having issues communicating with them. Seems they are angry with me because I did not sign up for the service last time they did a survey. They only achieved 2mb down, and that just isn't good enough. But they didn't offer me a tower plan last time. This time, $40/mnth for 24 months and the 80 foot tower is paid off and owned by me. I hope it really happens.

But back to Xplornet. I guess I have to say that they are infact delivering the service that I subscribe for. And if they could offer me a mb or two more on the upload, I would be a happy customer.