XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Xplornet 4G Wireless Tower Forum (Alvarion equipment) * (newer network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2012, 08:16 AM

Default switch to 4g from xtreme?

Hi. New to this forum.
I have the old xplornet fixed wireless (xtreme plan) and got a pamphlet in the mail for a free upgrade to their new 4g.
Will I see any improvement? Currently I pay for 5 Mbps and typically get a burst speed of 2 (on a good day). What pisses me off is they throttle my downloads after about 10 seconds to only 100 kBps. Forget netflixs, I can't even stream a tiny youtube video.
What's your experience with 4G?

thanks

Oh, I'm in eastern Ontario btw

Last edited by gglaive : 07-14-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:21 PM

I used to be on the Expedience OSU too. On the 3mbit plan. Having telnet and ftp access was fun.
I received a pamphlet also in the mail. Shortly after I had the Alvarion Pro 6000 CPE installed. It was almost a week ago. I got the 5mbit plan.
Netflix is now flawless and my pings are more stable. Not much better, but more stable. I can game online and my wife can watch netflix at the same time with no problems. I have yet to try out VOIP like MagicJack or the likes. But it looks promisingly usable.
You are still subject to their FAP so you still get throttled to 30kbps (in my case and has not changed from before the switch) on non time sensitive data aka torrents during peak times, but everything else is better. Whether or not that is the case in 3 months or so when more and more subscribers are put on the tower and it again becomes congested, i dunno yet. But so far so good for me.

And if you are nice enough to the techs that come to install and configure the OSU, you may be able to get a copy of the Quick Installation Guide containing the login and setup information... Some interesting stuff in there...

I haven't tested with telnet yet, but the units have a shelled firmware.

All in all. It is better than what you have now, and you should take advantage of the free upgrade. IMO.

Best Wishes.

Last edited by Sativus420 : 07-22-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the reassurance, I called to set up an appointment. At worst it's a lateral move. They'll probably be forcing the upgrade on everyone eventually anyway.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:17 PM

WAIT!
Turns out, Storm is BACK. They are offering service now in my area and will be offering soon a 10 up 5 down 200Gig cap service. No contract, but installation charges apply.
I have 4 days left to get out of my Xplornet contract without penalty and I will be canceling it on Monday.
I urge you to check with Storm before your time expires... No daily caps, No throttling of ANY kind, No FAP's, much better minimum guaranteed throughout and better customer service.
They are still on the expedience equipment, but their towers are not over crowded, thus allowing the proper un-congested operation of the expedience hardware.
Thank God. I will have such a big smile when that Xplornet van rolls out of my lane way with that modem in the back. Free at last!

Anyone on the 4G WiMAX that may be interested in the user names and passwords for the units, hit me up with a pm and I will gladly share. I have not messed with any telnet, snmp or ftp connections that may be present on these modems though, so that is up to you

Best Wishes, and check for Storm ASAP!
Old 08-11-2012, 08:15 PM

I remember storm. Doesn't look like they have it in my area this time though. Anyway I already signed for 3 years with 4g.
So far it's consistently faster than the xplornet extreme (5Mb), I actually get 4-5 Mb/s, whereas before it was usually 1-2. Unfortunately, the ping has increased substantially from 40 ms to 90 and sustained downloads are not much better than before, a lousy 130 kB/s. I need to test it a bit more, but so far this is crap. Their fine print says 300 kB/s for sustained downloads.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:57 PM

The guy quoted me 1.5 minimum on the 3mb package and said he thought 5 minimum on the 10mb package which is much better than Xplornet's 300kb...

And I have experienced exactly the same as you with the 4G. More consistent speeds but a higher ping. The ping for me has less jitter then the expedience unit I had, but is higher.

Had I not gone to the festival and seen the Storm guy, I would have been perfectly happy with my new 4G Xplornet connection. But if I can get out now without penalty, then Storm is the better choice for me.

Best Wishes.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:06 PM

Thought I'd give an update since things have improved a lot since I first subscribed back in August. Speeds increased a lot in the fall and I've downloaded several games from Steam with sustained speeds between 700-800 kB/s, even hit 900 a couple times.
Also I watch Netflix regularly now with no buffering issues. So far there's less downtime compared to the old system - seems to be more stable in bad weather for some reason. I'm actually happy now.
Cheers.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:46 PM

Its good to hear that YOU actually get what you pay for with this company I hope it keeps up for you! Thanks for the update!
Old 04-17-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sativus420 View Post
And if you are nice enough to the techs that come to install and configure the OSU, you may be able to get a copy of the Quick Installation Guide containing the login and setup information... Some interesting stuff in there...
Id like to get ahold of that information and disable the NAT... I found the quick install guide on the internet but the instructions don't seem to work. Is the guide you got xplornet specific? Maybe you could message me the details or email it to me.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:09 PM

They tried to upgrade to 4G from extreme and were unable to connect with any of the several towers around the area(that are visable). The extreme was working fine(well better than the old 900mhz) now its been shut down? All they could do was stick me with a satellite link and stick me with a really low cap(120Gb down to 40Gb) because that package is no longer available, and bump my rate from 62$ tax in to 96$. What a great deal! I spent 3 hours on the phone and got nowhere. The tech said that since the 4G came out they have been converting a lot of customers to satellite(obviously a plot to pay for it)Ping times are lousy, download is bursty, cant use skype or IP phone or game on the satellite.
I'll be cancelling before the 30day trial for sure and signing up with another provider for a lot less$$. After 7 years SO LONG xplodernet.
Mark in Trenton Ontario

Last edited by MarkF : 06-14-2013 at 07:23 PM.