XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Generic question forum (don't know where to post?)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 12:16 PM

Default explornet - how bad are they

Right now I have cable internet that is horrible. My download speeds on a good day are 100 kbs .

If I signed up with the 10mbps package can i expect better than that? Is the 4g upgrade working well?

What kind of download speeds can i expect with xplornet with their fastest package?

Micah
Old 05-01-2013, 02:15 PM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

Are you looking at 4G satellite(Viasat1, Echostar 17)
or
Wireless to tower 4G
?

On your Cable Internet:
Is the low speed due to over-subscription on the node? or not enough backhaul capacity?
or
Is there a technical issue such as to far from the node(end of cable distance) or maybe a splitter in your home that is degrading your signal resulting in low speeds?

Do you need more than 20GB - 30GB a month in usage?(The top usage limit may of changed recently).

For satellite:
Do you have time sensitive programs or gaming that needs a less lag than the minimum 650ms?
For wireless:
to tower the pings should(don't know what the latest lag is on the 4G wireless equipment) be around roughly 100ms to 200ms to a site depending on local issues.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:00 PM

Thank you. I will do some research right now.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:27 PM

My cable internet is slow because there is no more bandwidth left in my town. All of it is totally used up and as a result the whole town is slowed right down. I have been told that it will be upgraded in a year, but that is a long time when you pay 85 per month for a slow internet and only get 25 gigs of traffic.

I would be on the Jupiter satellite and I would get the 10.0 Mbps plan. I would also buy the extra bandwidth. It would not be 4g to tower but i am not a video gamer.

thoughts.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:19 PM
Linux Member

It depends on what you're using the Internet for. The slow latency (ping time) affects more than just gaming.

For example, you'll see complex web pages take a long time to load. Some web pages can involve over 100 requests to load all the images, scripts, etc. To a small extent these can be done simultaneously, but you'll get used to seeing the main body of the page load, and then waiting 10 seconds for the images and such to finish loading. (It's very important to have a good ad-blocker, and a flash-blocker is also a good idea.)

Anything that uses encrypted communications (https) is likely to run slower. When I was on satellite, I never had a problem with Internet banking -- though it was slow -- but others have reported being unable to get it to work. Internet telephony (voice over IP) may not work. I tried Skype once on satellite and gave up. I also had some difficulty using a VPN. Bittorrent is likely to be slow (and may be blocked by Xplornet anyway). If you need any of that, you may be dissatisfied.

I don't know what the FAP (Fair Access Policy) rules are for the Jupiter satellite, but I would research those very carefully before switching. A lot of people (myself included) got burned that way on other satellites.

If you're just doing web browsing and email, and lots of downloading (subject to the FAP restrictions), you'll probably be ok with satellite.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:05 AM

The speed for downloads depends on what you are actually checking. Whatever they say the speed is, divide it by 10 to get the absolute maximum file download speed you will get. The speed testing websites check your connection speed and that is what Xplornet uses.

When I was on a 1.5Mb/s plan, my actual file download speed was 60kb/s to 80kb/s max. No matter what I told their Customer Service, I was getting what I was paying for. When I went to a speed testing site that allowed me to download any sized file, I would get 1.5Mb/s for up to 10 seconds and it would fall off continually for 20 seconds. We couldnít even watch videos on YouTube. You also have to take note that they throttle back numerous websites so downloading from those sites will be extremely slow. The worst file I had to download was a Window update. It took me 3 days to get it.

It really sucks not having any Internet providers around. I have to use the Rogers wireless system for Internet because I will never go with Xplornet again. If I lose the wireless, I would rather go back to dialup than go back to Xplornet. At least with dialup, I know what Iím getting and get what Iím paying for.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Linux Member

renrut, were you on Xplornet's wireless service? They were notorious for throttling your speed after a burst of a few seconds. The satellite, on the other hand, is slowed more by congestion. The only time I was ever throttled on satellite was when I triggered the FAP (admittedly easy to do during prime time). I simply don't know if they're throttling 4G wireless, and I don't know the FAP policy for 4G satellite.

I do recall complaints that Xplornet was throttling certain web sites -- particularly the file-sharing sites. And I think I heard that the idiots throttled Windows updates once (that led to a lot of complaints).

As for me, I'm using Rogers wireless too. It's not cheap, and it's not super fast, but it seems to be fairly reliable.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:05 PM

I did have the wireless service for 2 years. For the first couple months, it was good. After that, I was past the trial period so they cut my speed down. No matter how many call to Customer Service, it never got back to being good.

A neighbor has the new 4G and he likes it but has only had it a short time. If Xplornet keeps to their ways, the service will become bad. If the speed stays good, Xplornet is probably hoping he will get more neighbors to sign up. I will never sign up again.

The local town is selling Industrial land a short way from here. I'm hoping DSL will be brought in. If I can get DSL, I know of a few Internet providers that are real cheap and have unlimited bandwidth.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:24 AM

Ditto on the above posts. If you have actual wired cable at the moment, you will be very disappointed with xplornet wireless/4g/satelite, whatever. It will never be as good as an actual wired internet solution.

That being said, however, it also really depends on what you use the internet for. What most people forget, when calculating total throughput, is all the devices they have that access the internet (phones, BD players, smart TVs and computers). Xplornet wants you to use the internet for email and web browsing, pretty well that's it.

The speed (or supposed speed) is inconsequential, if you are limited in the actual total usage. Think of having a 550HP GT500, that can go 150mph, but only have a gallon of gas to use.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:08 AM

Just stay away from xploitnet. Avoid them like the plague. Wait it out if you can, for your current internet to be upgraded.