XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Xplornet 4G Wireless Tower Forum (Alvarion equipment) * (newer network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 03:45 PM

Default Question about 4G Services

So, I live in the Edson AB area, and I have been on Xplornet with the motorola canopy system as their first customer in my area, over 8 years now. I have suffered with this service, but then recently a new provider came to the area, run by a co-op of gas companies. Unfortunately, they told me that I am in a dead zone, and that they tried to connect my neighbor half a km up the road with no success.

To that end, I've seen some advertisements for 4G from Xplornet, now, I'm confused because their ads say "4G Satellite". What I'd like to know, is if there is real 4G low latency, decent bandwidth service in the area from xplornet. I'm so tired of dealing with their service and sales, I literally had a tech guy hang up on me after telling me my expectations were too high. My issue was it takes longer to download/buffer a 5 minute youtube video than it takes to watch the video. I've been stuck at about 70kb/sec consistently, on a static IP business 5MBit advertised package. I get about 300kb/sec for a burst transfer, that lasts less than 15 seconds, sustained speeds are garbage. But we all know that about xplornet.

So, if this 4G Wireless based system is available to upgrade in my area, what are the real sustained speeds people are seeing with it? And what are the current caps on bandwidth versus price? Honestly, I'd be happy with 2-3MBit sustained throughput at this point, but I suspect we might go over caps after not having decent internet for nearly a decade.

Any feedback would be appreciated on real use of the 4G stuff, and if anyone is on this so called 4G satellite, what's that like? (latency? throughput? caps? I'm considering getting a satellite connection separately just for downloading larger files, and leaving the gaming on the canopy that is still upwards of 200ms to anywhere in the US, but the air time is only 12-15MS usually to the tower).

And if anyone with some deep pockets wants to setup a new wisp in the area, they'd have very little competition and a few thousand subscribers quickly (I did an override for my canopy, got read access to some information and can see they have upwards of 500 subscribers on each of their 6 sector units)... Alberta Supernet fiber is already wired in the area.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:49 PM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

'4G satellite' will be satellite.

The term 'wireless' is preferred to be used for tower based services.

Satellite has the usual minimum 600ms lag(lag will fluctuate higher based on users online for your spotbeam and groundbase satellite up/downlink station.

This is a review on the Hughesnet echostar 17 satellite.
http://www.xplornetsucks.com/forumss...ead.php?t=1443

Be aware which satellite you are going to be installed on. As there are possibly 3 covering your area. The old anik f2. new viasat1. new echostar 17.

echostar17
http://www.xplornetsucks.com/forumss...ead.php?t=1386

viasat1
http://www.xplornetsucks.com/forumss...ead.php?t=1169
Old 03-22-2013, 01:00 PM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

Here is a large review of the viasat1.

https://secure.dslreports.com/comment/2584/84892
Old 03-24-2013, 12:34 PM

Since you are on the Canopy system, there is a good chance you can upgrade to the new WiMax (Alvarion) system.

You asked about download speeds. I just had one of my clients upgrade to the new system. Here is a real world test example: If I try and download a Win 7 iso file (to make a bootable Win7 DVD) on my Canopy system, it takes about 6 hours overnight (BTW I'm on the highest Canopy package). I started the same file download at my client's location, and it looked like it would take about 38 minutes (during the day no less).

Now to rub salt in our "collect wounds", I was in North Myrtle Beach a few weeks ago and the time share unit had high speed as part of the vacation package. I did the same test (Win 7 iso, about 3GB). Tried it several times and ALWAYS the same result - 18 frigging minutes!!! This was not a premium resort. Private, family run, with about 160 units in the complex. All I can say is "awesome Internet experience" while I was down there.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:52 PM
Linux Member

Just to be clear, Xplornet is calling both their new satellite service, and their new wireless (WiMax/Alvarion) service, "4G". It's marketing fluff but it also causes a bit of confusion...I don't know if that's deliberate or not.

Just for the record, we had Xplornet wireless for a while -- not Motorola hardware; it was Vecima hardware they inherited when they acquired Everus. When they switched our area over to the Alvarion hardware, we suddenly were outside their coverage area. They said we could switch over to the "4G" satellite service at no charge...I declined.