XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Bell turbo hub forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2011, 09:53 AM

Default NetGear Turbo Hub - Trial

I could use some technical advice!

I just purchased the NetGear MBR Turbo Hub to give it a try at my place. I bought it outright so I can return the sucker if I get nothing. I get 1-3 bars on my iPhone so I figured it was worth a shot (currently on Xploitnet).

I have only 50mb for the trial period, so I am only using it for random speed tests on testmy.net. My Xplornet and linksys router are still on but not connected during these tests.

So far, in this location, the Connection strength continually says -103dbm.

I have had results from 94 kbps to 1.1 mbps down.

I do not believe there is heavy usage on this tower, it mostly services a light traffic highway.

Questions:

1) Does the dbm measure the router signal strength or tower signal strength? I'm surprised it doesn't fluctuate.

2) Could my linksys router be mucking up the signal?

3) Will a yagi antennae stabilize the speeds?

Honestly, if I can get a reliable 1 Mbps connection I am a happy happy camper. So want to say goodbye to the letters f, a, and p.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 07-10-2011, 10:22 AM

ADD:

Just took this puppy outside and set her up on my deck.

Now signal quality is : -89 dbm
Download speed : 3.5 mbps (holy frack!)

Sunday morning and overcast. Will try this again later this aft when internet traffic should be higher.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Linux Member

I'll hazard a guess that the dBm reading is the strength of the signal you are receiving, i.e., the strength of the tower's signal as received by your router.

A Yagi antenna will increase the strength of the signal in both directions. If you're in a fringe area (and it sounds like you are), that should improve your speed. However, as you've discovered, you can also get a significant signal improvement just by careful placement of your hub.

I don't think your Linksys router should interfere with the signal, but there's a simple test for that: try turning the Linksys router off, and see if the signal improves.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:38 PM

With good signal, I placed the order today for a yagi antenna. Went with the Wilson because of the reputation, but I saw others on Amazon listing a higher db gain. The signal amplifiers are pricey! I'll wait to see how the antenna alone goes.

The best location looks like the exact spot my Xploitnet satellite is installed. Hmmm. I wonder if I can hijack the cable that is already threaded through the hose.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:53 AM
Linux Member

As a general rule, an improved antenna is a better investment than an amplifier. For one thing, the antenna improves the signal both ways (receiving and transmitting). Also, if the received signal is "down in the noise," an amplifier will amplify both noise and signal, which doesn't help.

Re. using cable threaded through the house, don't, if you can avoid it. There's an alarming amount of signal loss in that cable. The best thing is to put the hub as physically close to the antenna as you can, with the shortest possible antenna cable. Then, if necessary, run a long Ethernet cable to the hub -- Ethernet cables can be fairly long with no problems.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:20 AM

Thank-you so much for your advice!

I'd rather not buy a $400 amplifier!

Right now, the cable from satellite to modem travels 12 feet. We've got a one level brick home and it is a huge job to drill a hole in the wall. Thanks for that tidbit on the cable, I will definitely do some testing to see how to best work this.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:03 PM

its not surprising your speeds were bad, -100db is abysmal you will probably drop, for sure need that outside antenna