XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Any Other Wireless Internet Providers Worth Discussing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2017, 08:05 PM

Default Eh-tel

Hey guys....noticed a little 1 ft white dish on the neighbors house, seen a few others with it. Got around to asking about it tonight and they said it was internet from Eh-tel

http://www.ehtel.ca/index.php

I am going to get them over to see if they can hook me up.

Anyone else heard of them or tried it?
Old 06-08-2017, 12:24 PM
Linux Member

Interesting. Assuming the black dots on their coverage map are their towers, they have two not too far from me.

I wonder if they have a static IP option for Residential customers. (They do for Business, but that's a pricey plan.)
Old 06-09-2017, 06:49 AM

Sending us some info and setting up an appointment for next week to check out if we can get signal from tower. Tower is about 2 km away, but we are sort of in a valley, so will see. Neighbor up hill gets good reception, so hoping.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:12 PM

I know someone who has them and they seem to be really good. I've done some speedtests and it looks like it even want's to push up to 30-40mbps (then it drops back down to their package's speed.)

The only weird thing I noticed though is that their IP says that their ISP is Rogers Communication and no Eh-Tel. Nothing too serious though.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java View Post
I know someone who has them and they seem to be really good. I've done some speedtests and it looks like it even want's to push up to 30-40mbps (then it drops back down to their package's speed.)

The only weird thing I noticed though is that their IP says that their ISP is Rogers Communication and no Eh-Tel. Nothing too serious though.
They havent had a chance to come and do the site survey yet, say they are very busy with bookings.....promised this week.

As for the Rogers IP thing, I dont know how these systems work and how they get signal to their towers, but the Rogers tower that we use now is about 2 km from the Eh-tel tower. Might they get the signal from the Rogers towers?
Old 06-20-2017, 11:27 AM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
As for the Rogers IP thing, I dont know how these systems work and how they get signal to their towers, but the Rogers tower that we use now is about 2 km from the Eh-tel tower. Might they get the signal from the Rogers towers?
One scenario: With the exhaustion of IPv4 address and the expense of buying on the private market, it would be cheaper to run carrier grade NAT on the tower and have the transit ISP bring their service via fibre to the tower (or in the case of microwave backhaul, to another tower) and use their address pool as a commercial business customer. All the local billing for the wireless ISP would be via their own servers on their own tower, and the instant transit avoids the cost of making other peering/hardware agreements in far off cities.
When a dedicated static IP is needed for a customer, the company would buy another static IP from their provider and pass on the cost. That single customer static IP cost being lower due to only being used for the traffic of one client and not hundreds.

Last edited by buttitchi : 06-20-2017 at 11:33 AM.