XplornetSUCKS  

Go Back   XplornetSUCKS > Xplornet 4G Wireless Tower Forum (Alvarion equipment) * (newer network) *
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2017, 07:54 PM

Default Issues with WiMax service

Thought I'd throw this info out there in case others are having issues.

Mine started about 2 weeks ago with increasing losses during pings to 8.8.8.8, which translated to some really slow responses on https sites. Xplornet claims that up to 10% loss during a ping test is acceptable??? At one point yesterday I was at 34% loss.

I also noticed that speed test sites were reporting some really slow results (like 168kps on a 10 Mbps WiMax service).

Long story short, the issue got so bad that it would take 3-4 minutes just to log into secure webmail sites, and then the page refreshes were brutal. First two calls into support didn't really help much, but the third time I got lucky and had a REALLY nice, intelligent CSR. Summary, it looks like they "may" have changed their traffic management policy (possibly to improve video streaming, while clobbering the rest of us "normal" users).

I went to bed with basically no service, and woke up this morning to acceptable service (Go Daddy monitors my connection and reported several overnight outages, which I assume were tower reboots).

I still have 4-5% packet loss, and the usual speed test sites (testmy, etc.) don't work, but I can log into my secure webmail sites now.

For those who don't know how to use the ping test, open a command prompt, and type in ping 8.8.8.8 -t and hit enter. This will start the test so let it run for a few minutes and then press Cntl c (together) to stop the test. You will clearly see if you have any losses on the last line.

I hope this helps someone else out there...
Old 04-15-2017, 08:42 AM

From what I have been told by an installer is they will/are be phasing out the wimax system. As a legacy product I would move the product to the bottom of the server pile and let you complain, these "A holes" know there is nothing you can do bout it!
Old 04-15-2017, 01:00 PM

Until they offer static IP addresses on LTE, I will have to continue with WiMax.

As I said earlier most speed tests sites do not work properly anymore (at least for me). DSL Reports https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest appears to still work, and alerted me to bloatbuffer. From their description, all my symptoms could be caused by bloatbuffer. Their tests showed a failing grade for bloatbuffer so I followed some of their suggestions.

I use a Netgear Nighthawk router, updated the firmware, enabled QoS and used their built-in speed test software to automatically detect my speeds (both up and down). The DSL Reports test showed better results, but still a poor score for bloatbuffer. I manually changed the speed settings in QoS to those slightly under what the built-in test showed, and re-ran the DSL test. Bloatbuffer got an "A" rating. I'll see how things work for the next few days and report back.

Interestingly enough, I was running a long ping test while posting this. 12% loss (not cool in my books)...
Old 04-18-2017, 05:37 PM
Linux Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddy2 View Post
Until they offer static IP addresses on LTE, I will have to continue with WiMax.
Same here.

I've noticed a significant slowing of service in recent weeks. Just from watching the browser, it looked like slow and occasionally failed DNS lookup. Your post provided an important clue, since I'm currently using 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for DNS.

I may have to try OpenDNS again, and see if that's an improvement.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:34 AM

Short update: Go Daddy reported another overnight outage about 10 days ago, and since then I have had no packet loss on long pings. Service seems to be running smoothly now. My VoIP phone is working fine (no dropped calls, fades, etc.).

All-in-all things seem much better these days.

On a side note, I've heard from reliable sources that my area may be getting fibre to our village (and to the premise)! This will be really interesting if it happens...
Old 05-05-2017, 05:14 PM
offline "Global Moderator" Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddy2 View Post

On a side note, I've heard from reliable sources that my area may be getting fibre to our village (and to the premise)! This will be really interesting if it happens...
Fibre is wonderful
Don't forget a personal UPS if you don't get supplied with a battery backup. Some providers won't supply the unit's UPS or battery if you don't subscribe to phone service. One of the big ISP down in the States, there is a hack of the wiring (change two wires) since they do supply the battery, but it is set to only power the phone socket and not data socket.

If it happens to be Bell, with a SFP connection https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_...le_transceiver , you can use your personal hardware to gain 100% control over your home network.
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31...e-HomeHub-3000